84 XS front disc brake dragging

If it comes to that, the really cool replacement is a remote reservoir under the tank so all you see is levers. BMWs run that kind of setup stock, and it makes for a really clean handlebar area...

The first part of removing the screws went well. After that not so much. Drilled the heads off without incident but no chance of removing the rest of the screws. I think the corrosion between the steel screws and the aluminum m/c has pretty much permanently stuck the screws. So far I've drilled about 1/2 inch straight down into one of the screws with no luck at being able to break it loose. Not so good on the other one as the drill has gone slightly off center. Only choice now seems to be to keep drilling to see if I'm able to salvage this. I hate to admit it but although I'm usually pretty good with maintaining my cool I had to walk away from this tonight. Pretty choked.
Anyone know if I can use a m/c for a 650?
Sandy

In theory, any that fit your handlebars will work, as long as they use a 10mm banjo bolt to hold on the brake hose... it's just a matter of matching up your levers between the sides if that matters to you.

I ordered a m/c on Ebay . After talking to the used parts supplier here I decided that getting a used one and then rebuilding it wasn't worth it. The one I ordered fits a bunch of different Hondas but I chose it because it includes a brake light switch and should look ok with the rest of the bike.
Job on the books for today is to remove the carbs and try and cure my intermittent problem on one cylinder.
Sandy

Our bikes use the same front caliper as the same year's XS650, so go to http://www.xs650direct.com and punch in item Part #29-0016. $18.95 Canadian.

Sorry to jump into this thread but I was wondering if you know whether this applies to 1982 Heritage Specials as well. I bought one in reasonable condition just before Easter, but the front brake piston moves very reluctantly. I'm in Ottawa, so buying from a Canadian dealer would be my first preference. Thanks in advance for any help and advice you are able to offer!

I just checked - doesn't the Heritage Special have a drum brake in front?

In which case, no.

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a disc alright. I'm one of those guys with a VIN that starts off with 14W - it's almost like the bike is non-existant when I try searching for information. But the side covers say Heritage Special, so for the time being I believe it's an XS400SJ. I'll try to post a picture.

Here are two (without the side covers since I had them off at the time)

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 244
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 236
If your caliper looks like this one, then yes, the XS650 caliper will work on your XS400.
They started using this caliper on the 77 model year. They used this caliper till the end of production. They also used it on many models of Yamaha's during those years. I don't know all of them but the XS400 is on the list. Along with the XS650, The standard versions of the XS750, XS850 and the XS1100. The specials used a different one.
The RD's used it some years, the SR500 as well as many more.
Some used a left hand version, some a right hand version, some used both.
They are easy to rebuild. often just taking them apart and cleaning them well, especially the groove for the seal. The pistons can get rusty but Mike's has stainless steel replacements.
Rebuild kits are not very expencive.
Leo

Attachments

• 08-5001.jpg
    08-5001.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 208
Thanks Bentwrench and Leo. I am going to try to get the piston moving a bit more freely before I go the re-build route. You're right about the price of re-build kits - even if the parts don't fit, I am not out much $$$.

Rebuild kits can't get to expencive, they have just three parts, the square section o-ring, the rubber dust shield and the snap ring for the dust shield.
Leo

The new (Ebay) non-original master cylinder arrived a couple of days ago and we installed it today. It went surprisingly well and using the old fashioned bleeding method of squeezing the air out it only took about 15 mins. to get the air out and that included flushing the system with a full can of brake fluid. I was pleased because from what I've read it can be a bit of a nightmare.
Stripped the cover off the seat in preparation for the new cover which will get put on in a couple of days when I'm sure the foam is 100% dry.
Sandy

Back