A big hello from a brand new XS owner

SteveK

Steve
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members of a forum that I plan on spending a lot of time on. I just purchased a 1977 XS400D with 22k on it (with a rebuild at 20k) for $1400. It was in immaculate condition and I couldn't pass up the chance to finally work on an older bike and eventually turn it into a cafe racer.

I have been riding for about 4 years now, always on my 2001 Triumph Speed Triple. I'm new to older bikes and I've never owned anything with a carburetor AND a kick start... so I'm probably going to be asking for a lot of advice. I am really excited to learn though.

About me: I am a 25 year old law student that lives in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I would love to hear from anyone on here, especially people in the area.

Below are some pics of my latest acquisition, along with a pic of Lossa Engineering's SR500... a model for what I want my bike to look like.

-Steve

Attachments

• YamahaXS400-1-1.jpg
    YamahaXS400-1-1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 311
  • YamahaXS400-2-1.jpg
    YamahaXS400-2-1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 330
  • YamahaXS400-4-1.jpg
    YamahaXS400-4-1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 336
  • YamahaXS400-5-1-1.jpg
    YamahaXS400-5-1-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 324
  • Yamaha_SR500_Solus-1.jpg
    Yamaha_SR500_Solus-1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 345
Welcome Steve.

The tank and tail section looks a lot like Benjie's work. http://benjiescaferacer.com/
You will get some feedback to leave that original beauty alone.
But hey,it's yours have fun!!! Fab work will be needed under the original yank along the top tube (s).

Keep us posted.

Haha, yea, she is in really good condition. Not a bit of rust on her and she runs like a champ. The idle was a bit low when I drove it home from picking it up, but that was an easy fix by just adjusting the idle screw.

I know it's basically a sacrilege to tear her up... but it's going to be hard to fight the urge to turn her into the cafe of my dreams. Anyone care to stop me by giving me an XS650 to play around with? God knows they're easier to cafe considering every company makes parts for them.

WELCOME STEVE. You and I have the same model bike, although mine looked nothing like yours when I got it. I almost want to tell you to leave it as is but screw that, it is yours and you should enjoy it. As far as trying to get a 650 you are right there are more parts but they have a way lower top speed and only 5 gears, pure bobber material in my book. Keep the 400 and just fab what you need to. That SR looks like a great model to strive after, i am working on turning mine into a cafe as well so we can bounce ideas and suggestions off of each other.

-Taylor

Taylor,

Thanks for the kind words. I know she is a purdy little thing, but I gotta do something with her. It's going to be awesome to have someone to bounce ideas off of, troubleshoot, and god forbid, commiserate with during the build.

As far as the XS650 goes, I did know that the 400 was raved for its torque but I had no idea that even with a bigger displacement the 650 had a lower top speed.

Make sure you post/send a bunch of pics and I will do the same.

most of the top speed comes form having 6 instead of 5 gears. if you want to see a couple of pics check out http://backyardbuild.tumblr.com it is where i will be blogging with my buddy, the 650 with the tracker seat is his but he just ordered a solid tail and is going that direction with it.

Welcome to the site Steve, interesting to see what you come up with.

try and think out of the box too, so your bike is more unique.

Back