A guy I met has a 1974 XS500 for sale in super clean condition for $500

No it's all good. He's got much nicer bikes now is all, been garaged. This is a DOHC bike is it not? (I have not seen if but I have every reason to believe this guy).

Well since you don't know who he is, I am not breaking his anonymity, I am a recovered alcoholic and addict and member of AA and NA (and do not mind breaking my own on a small scale such as a specialty BBS like this) and he's one of us, well established, I am certain he isn't pulling anything.

I was just looking at boats.net and they made two 500 cc bikes, an SC500A that is a big single two stroke and the TX 500A. It was not such a good bike. It had similar problems the TX 750 had. It was a DOHC but had lower end problems. The balancer shaft I think was a big part of the problem. I might pass on it.
When I first read this thread I was thinking SR500 which was a big single four stroke. A good bike.
Leo

Oh wait a minute, he never specified, I just assumed because of a pic on a Google search. If it's the thumper I might jump on it. Don't like that thumpers usually rap out so high at high speeds but I can gear taller.

Oh that might be a dirt bike?

Mark, I was thinking the price on an sr500 seemed really low. xs 500, meh. Pass.

As for anonymity, you can say "his integrity is solid."

Just got given this bike FREE! So stoked to be king of the free Yamahas! Will post pics soon as I get her home.

I should have got a pic while i was there; the bike is clean and nice! All the chrome still shines! I think all it needs is the tank and carbs gone through, a battery (which I already have), a couple new tires on her maybe and she will be good to go. She has just 10,000 original miles on her, and has always been garaged.

Was totally cool how it happened; dude just comes up to me (he had rode his Harley in), and says he'd seen me with Frankenbike and all the improvements and he was like "You're the read deal dude, if anyone can do my old Yamaha justice it would be you, I'm never gonna do anything with it, so if you want it, it's yours."

Feeling incredibly blessed and lucky today! I do owe some of that to you guys!

OP,
you are one lucky bastard!

I am moving to Washington this summer. My timing is off. I need another Yamaha!

Congrats.

It's this one and the trouble really now is just getting it. No truck so I have to get some help.

I read up on it and these are fine bikes, it's just they require maintenance of the balance shaft and cam chain. If you skimped on proper service on these bikes they would fail, but if not they could be great bikes with some longevity, but the parts will not be easy to come buy should I need any.

Attachments

• TX500Apg2.jpg
    TX500Apg2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 164
Back