Any clue what side the spring goes on?

PEPXS400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Need some help on my 1980 XS400. Working on putting my BS34's back together and ran into a wall on which side the spring goes on. Anyone of you carb geniuses remember?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 133
YEP My suspicions were correct!!! That little spring go's on TOP of the spacer which sits on top of the clip. It's there so if the needle hits resistance sliding back into the jet below it has some give instead of just sticking or worse yet Breaking off.

I was thinking it was the second so the little nipple seats in the hole at the bottom.
Mr Stubb, you need to tear yours apart. Your are awesome for wanting to do that!!
Thanks guys!!

I'm actually going to run them after the H-pipe. Just put them on for the picture. I have been trying to weld up an H-pipe that would work with them. So far can't get the right air flow.
I appreciate the concern though!!
Thxs!!

Awesome?? ME?? Naw just trying to help a fellow Yamaha addict get his fix. Besides It gave e a reason to start yet another project. I see you drank the coolaid & bought a set of THOSE filters. I've a set on mine & Dave is right. They are a problem. I was able to put them on my stock H pipe. I took some stainless tube & cut a couple 2" long sleeves that insert into the H pipe. Then I mounted the filters on the H pipe over the clamp grooves & tightened them down. But my carbs are from a different year & modified for a built up 360. They still run rich but the bike runs well enough that I'd trust it on short to medium hops round town.

Those pleated element filters cause excessive turbulance in the airflow through the carbs disrupting the vacuum signal for the slides, this causes an off idle flat spot and steady cruising speed flutter. The shorter and more tapered the more the effect.
You can spend weeks trying to tune these out or put on a round foam filters. about 4 inches long are about right. I use Uni Filters. I like the two layer units. The coarser out layer traps big stuff while the finer inner layer gets the little stuff.
Leo

Back