Are my steering yolk bearings bad?

mpetry

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't ridden my bike in 10 years, and I recently began restoration. Today I noticed that my steering yolk has a notch almost dead center when I turn the yolk. I can't remember if that is normal.

If the notch is normal, then it means my yolk needs to be realigned, because the notch is slightly off center. I'm pretty sure it has been out of alignment since 1986 when I laid it down.

Here is a picture:

uploadfromtaptalk1424559680230.jpg

If the stem is still straight you may just need to clean and re-grease the bearings (if those and the races are still good. You can always upgrade to roller bearings.

a notch in the steering is an MOT failure in the UK.

A bearing has rusted/indented the race and is dangerous

Definitely replace with tapered roller bearings. All Balls Racing makes a kit. Part #22-1007

I bought this kit, and it seems to be the wrong one for my bike. The race for the top bearing doesn't fit. It is about 1/8" too tall (see picture below).

Kbn5Iqy.jpg

Now I have dig it out, which won't be fun. :doh:

Hmmm, actually maybe this is right. It just doesn't seem right. I expected it to be recessed, as shown here.

DSC_8301-taper-race.jpg

I have a set of them on my 79 and I am pretty sure the race sets flush. I did not put them in myself as the bike had them already when I got it. Maybe needs to be pressed in?

Yes, I pressed 100%, and it still has a 1/8" rise. I've convinced myself that it will work out. My biggest concern was not having enough thread for the retaining nut, but it think it will be ok.

2R0BqKg.jpg

Did you end up being able to drive the race further down. Is that a picture of after installation of the bearing race?

no, that's the way it is.

I too took it back out thinking it was wrong :banghead:

the stem still has some thread left to fix the top tree down

Odd question, did you freeze the races and bottom bearing beforehand? I've always put my bearings and races inside the freezer a day or two before installation. Old dirtbike trick. Makes. Install a breeze, and with wheel bearings I swear they drop in without help. My 04' YZ250 goes through stem bearing about every 6-8months. Getting the races in I ise an old bearing race. Cut about a grinding wheel width size notch(slit)out of a side, so it can pinch together. And use it along with a 2x4 to knock the new race in to the head or down the stem. Always freezing the bearing and races first, like I mentioned.

I didn't need to freeze them. I used the old race as my pressing surface, and just pressed it in. I'm more concerned about the day I need to remove them.

Oh!! A long rod cut to a 45* angle is all I ever have used. I'll post a picture of my race removal tool. Here shortly

I got the idea from Pivot Works website while back in one of their steering stem videos.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back