Brakes are Stuck

rodeofan5656

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was pushin my '81 XS400 into the garage about 15 minutes ago and the front brakes a stickin BAD. the front tire barely turns, and i put alotta push on it. any ideas of what the problem could be? yes, my hand was off the brake lever haha

Crack open the bleeder nipple on the caliper. If you get big improvement your master cylinder is probably in need of rebuild. If not, the caliber is probably in need of rebuild.

With drum brakes its just a matter of taking the hub apart and taking brake cleaning spray to them and the lubing the cable and cams that the shoes ride on.

the splooge hole in the M/C may be blocked. which doesn't return the fluid once pushed forward.

pistons do stick and just need pushing in and brake reapplied to free them. might just needs a clean up

the splooge hole in the M/C may be blocked. which doesn't return the fluid once pushed forward.

pistons do stick and just need pushing in and brake reapplied to free them. might just needs a clean up

so your sayin i pretty much need to pull alot of it apart and clean/oil it up? can i get some instructions? ive never cleaned or rebuilt brakes, just pulled em off and replaced pads

I suggest you read the manual as it is pretty good on brakes.

the splooge hole is a tiny hole in the M/C reservoir and use a blunt needle just to wiggle about and see if there is any blockage.

Have you renewed the fluid? supposed to every 2 years.

the bike was completely gone thru (supposedly) about 2 years ago. so its probly gettin to be time to drain and change all the fluids. oils lookin alittle dark, but doesnt smell worn out. where can i get a manual? i dont have one and dont wanna buy one off the internet.

the bike was completely gone thru (supposedly) about 2 years ago. so its probly gettin to be time to drain and change all the fluids. oils lookin alittle dark, but doesnt smell worn out. where can i get a manual? i dont have one and dont wanna buy one off the internet.

manual's in this forum

Ah - sorry, missed that. Thought you were some nut who believes in getting the most out of their oil... :yikes:

nope. change my oil every 2000mi or less if i got the time and money. i use nothin thinner than 10W-30. i prefer 10W-40 in my truck cause its got such a small engine for a big truck and has alotta stress put on it. AMSoil when i can afford it in the bike and 3wheeler, Valvoline in the truck, and Castrol if i go anythin lower quality than Valvoline

i impress alotta people about how much i know at 17. most people look down on me, but im ranked the highest in my automotive and weldin classes at skool. plannin to go to NCKTC in Beloit, KS for Diesel Technology next fall. i take pride in my stuff and fix stuff the right way the first time. just alittle about myself :laugh:

I suggest you read the manual as it is pretty good on brakes.

the splooge hole is a tiny hole in the M/C reservoir and use a blunt needle just to wiggle about and see if there is any blockage.

Have you renewed the fluid? supposed to every 2 years.

Thanks for the info. have a 83 xs400 with a similar problem. Brake system stays pressurized. Have to open bleeder to free caliper. Have a mc re-build kit to install soon. Hoping new seals and a good cleaning will fix it.

Is the brake hose the original rubber one? Have a look, it should have a manufacture date printed on it.

If it is, get a new one and rebuild, or at least clean, your master cylinder.

Brake hoses deteriorate from age and you get these rubber crumbs floating in there. They are what plugs up the hole Drewpy was talking about. This is exactly what happened to my rear brakes and why I have them ripped apart right now.

Thanks for the info. have a 83 xs400 with a similar problem. Brake system stays pressurized. Have to open bleeder to free caliper. Have a mc re-build kit to install soon. Hoping new seals and a good cleaning will fix it.

HELP!
Trying to clean out splooge hole and want to make sure I'm digging in the right place. M/C is off bike and piston and seals removed. I believe the splooge hole is the one closest to to the line that looks like a hole they started to drill but did not finish. Does this small hole go directly into the bore similar to the larger hole? I've been digging away at it for a while a feel like I'm just digging into the alluminium casting. is this normal and just how small is this hole I'm looking for?

Back