1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Café from the heart of Europe (intro & build)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LuckyEight, Feb 23, 2013.

1. LuckyEight

LuckyEight Head-scratcher

just bought this thing...looks pretty useful

2. LuckyEight

small detail... need to fab some nice bolt to go through the upholstery

[​IMG]

3. RobbyD

RobbyD XS400 Enthusiast

Awesome build man. Def makes me relived I picked up a xs and not holding out for another Honda. Keep up the great work

4. LuckyEight

Thanks for support man! Hope you won't be disappointed with XS:bike:

5. That could save a lot of time! How much did that set you back?

6. LuckyEight

About $70 + shipping (set with 3 different thread adapters - 12,14 and 16mm)

7. That rear cowling shape is spot on! Bravo!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  8. Bodie_Doyle_caferacer

Bodie_Doyle_caferacer XS400 New Member

Paris
    Hello LuckyEight,
    Your work is excellent! :thumbsup:Nice brake light.. I see we have similar tastes.
    Good to see you're almost at the finish line with it. When do you plan to finish your work?:bike:

9. LuckyEight

Thanks man! When?:laugh: I don't know...I wish I could ride it to my wedding:D That means 6/2016:laugh:
    Btw great nickname...I'm a huge fan of Professionals

10. Bodie_Doyle_caferacer

Bodie_Doyle_caferacer XS400 New Member

Paris
    Thanks ! Bodie and Doyle are my favorite heroes from my childhood :laugh::laugh:
    Are you going to a wedding at the new cafe racer? :bike: Happy bride! :D
    Have a nice wedding:thumbsup:

11. LuckyEight

I am still here!
    First of all...Happy NY guys!
    During the Xmas holidays Ive made some small progress again...
    Currently I'm working on headlamp mounts and battery box. Box will be placed under the swingarm. It has to be moved to the right side of bike because of chain. I hope it will work. Box will be welded to the rear lower engine mounts as you can see on the pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should be possible to remove the battery with the rear wheel on the bike:laugh:
    Previous plan was to place the battery under the cowl...but it's made from the metal so during the warm summer days it could work like an oven and, I think, it would not be good for the battery:doh:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  12. Greasey Fingers

Greasey Fingers XS400 Guru Top Contributor

very nice! Are you gonna send the wires up the frame or anything? One thing I didn't have to worry about cause I kept the side covers lol

13. LuckyEight

I have to say, it was stupid idea to remove the side covers:D I pretty like the look of them on the bike now (on your bike):wink2:

Yeah, definitely want to send the wires through the frame tubes, or at least one (+):)

14. Greasey Fingers

Greasey Fingers XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Side covers do suit my bike, because I don't have any other body work like a duck tail, it would have looked too sparse without them. I think you did the right thing not running them on yours though, gives it that custom cafe look. Its looking great man can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup:

15. LuckyEight

finished the DIY headlamp mounts...I have to say I'm pretty happy with the result...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. LuckyEight

Hey guys, I am looking for some ideas how to solve my rear brake light switch together and spring for the rear brake pedal/lever. I suppose it's not a good idea to use stock switch together with spring to pull the pedal back, right (doesn't look too solid to me)? But I have not too much space for brake switch and another spring. Maybe to use some kind of micro realease switch and place it together with stopping bolt?:umm:

Also found this:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good idea

Btw next week I'll move the bike to the shop for some custom exhaust job. I am excited like a child...:bike:

17. Could a small magnetic reed switch be implemented in any way?

-Ethan

18. LuckyEight

Good idea, thanks Ethan! I have to look into it, because I am a newbie... It's just a reed sensor and some magnet, right?

Just one sunday pic...mockup with stock headers...just need to know how and where they should go.
    [​IMG]
    Looks like bike again:D

New foam filters from Ramair ordered...Uni's are pretty rare here in Europe:( Also Motogadget speedo/tacho, M-unit, reg/rec RR38, chain and other stuff :bike: Thats a good thing about longterm build - You can spread the costs into years:laugh:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  19. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

the reed switch is too light, you would need a relay for the main switch.

Try a linear switch along the swing arm, lots of diiferent switches on here

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm

looking great so far :)

20. LuckyEight

Hey boys! She is finally back with new 2-1 exhaust setup! I am so fu*king excited! It's hard to describe how much.... It was so hard for me to leave her in the garage:D
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20160415_185230.jpg IMG_20160415_185828.jpg IMG_20160415_190700.jpg IMG_20160415_192337.jpg