Cafe High Build Intro

MotleyCustoms

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys Im Austin, a high school jr from Cedar Falls, Iowa.
Just a little intro on my build.
Im working with a 1978 xs. The po started to cafe it but decided to sell it. It did run, but needs the points set and carbs tuned up. It has pods on it and has a stripped down wiring harness.
Im working on a fork swap (92 gsxr750) with front disc brakes right now and getting the tank ready for paint. Im also working on a seat that im making out of the original plastic rear seat thingy :wtf: I'll post pictures :thumbsup: I plan on doing all the other cafe things, like cutting useless tabs off and cutting the rear frame, rear sets and all that good stuff
This is what i have done so far!
Feel free to criticize and give your opinions and advice!

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 285
Drewpy: sure am. I just had to fill/seal a few spots on the tank so I took it down to metal and wanted to get something on it so it didn't rust. I plan on putting it all together, making sure it runs well and everything is ok, then tearing it down and making it purdy

Last edited:
ran into some puzzling problems today. the POs wiring/ hacking of the original wiring harness has made the frame live and on top of that i have no spark. No idea where to even start here, except for all new wiring. any ideas?

Pull fuses until the voltage is cut from the frame. That will at least give you a hint which part of the loom is at fault. Other than that its fixture by fixture, wire by wire.

Update for today
forks are fitted, bearings will be in tomorrow.
carbs were cleaned and put back in bike.
wiring gone through and wrapped back up, have spark now!
leaking some gas from the bowls, gaskets?
Tried to get her started but just wasnt havin it. back firing pretty bad too. Timing off?
Wheel bearings are in house, still trying to get the old bearings out. (pain in the ass)

Work for tomorrow
get all bearings installed
connect all controls and get front brake lever.
put front wheel in and align the caliper/wheel.
design some kind of fork stop (any ideas/pictures are appreciated)
sand down primer on tank
order/buy petcock seal

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 322
Hey man that gixxer wheel looks really awsome on there (its really growing on me), the more i look at it the more im really digging the look of it. If you can put a modern swingarm on the back and a matching gixxer rear wheal that bike would look AMAZING!:thumbsup: wire wheels will look good too, just not as tough. You can make that bike look like it belongs in the movie sin city or banraku.

i was originaly going to sell the gixxer whell, but i think i might keep it and save up money/collect parts to put a swingarm, disc btrake and gixxer wheel on. just wanna get this done so i can ride and make sure i like it before i do more work, ya know?

would i go monoshock then or keep the dual shocks? hmm.. now you got me really thinking!
Yeah that qould be one of the first problems to solve:laugh: thats exactly what i was thinking after i thought about the modern rear swing arm. Actually someone here has done it, i cant remember his username now (haga-something?)

I guess either way(mono shock/single shock) you would need to fab up shock mount/s somewhere to accomodate the modern swingarm. I think it would become complicated and start getting quite technical, so wont be just bolting stuff on.:shrug: Definatly something i am unfortunaty not equipped to do or have the skills to pull off, because i would love to do something along those lines.

Last edited:
i was originaly going to sell the gixxer whell, but i think i might keep it and save up money/collect parts to put a swingarm, disc btrake and gixxer wheel on

now that i have convinced you to run with the gixxer wheels...you can send me your set of wire wheels....muhahahahahha hahah hah hah.....

Back