Clutch adjustment screw and locknut problems.

vim420

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've been reading all past forums on how to adjust the clutch at the cover and I completely understand how to. Popped the rubber cover off and I was able to unscrew it from the throw bear bearing but I could not seperate them for the life of me! I soaked it in wd40 got it in a vice and continually hit it with an impact driver to no avail. if anyone has some magic way they where able to separate them let me know! Iv herd of people using heat but I'm afraid of makeshift welding them together.So if anyone knows the part number for it or an online store to buy a new one let me know (I'm in Canada). Will be trying out the closest dealership asap.

What you might try is just taking your adjuster screw to a hardware store that has metric bolts and nuts. Find a nut that fits your screw. Buy a couple.
Now at home, put your screw in a vice. Use a hack saw or Dremel tool cut off wheel to cut through the nut till you almost get to the screws threads, Now use a chisel in the cut to split the nut off the screw.
You should now have an undamaged screw. Thread on a new nut. Reinstall back in your bike. Adjust the screw, snug down the lock nut. Tight enough to hold but noit so tight you can't get it off.
Leo

Back