Clutch Always Out of Adjustment When Engine Cold

I just use 20w50 motorcycle oil; valvoline. It works well and I've never had any strange clutch problems!

I changed the oil yesterday to Valvoline 15W40 Diesel oil. So far, no problems, but previous clutch "adjustment" problems have cropped up after running perfectly for several days.

Unless the cable is fairly new or in perfect shape,it might be a good idea to get a new one. When and if you get one,get some automatic transmission fluid and liberally oil it. The ATF will not gum up or allow rust to form. lha

Iha, thanks for the tip. I did inspect and lube the cable with PB Blaster during the initial teardown and the cable seemed to be "newer" and in perfect condition.

After changing the oil and fine tuning the clutch adjustment, the problem has not resurfaced. However, I am still reluctant to say the problem was definitely the oil despite the anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Unlike most oil induced problems of clutch slippage, our problem was repeated see-sawing between complete drop dead stall upon stepping into first gear to barely any grip at all, after being left overnight after a day of normal riding with no clutch problems. The morning would require a mechanical clutch adjustment and we would be on our way for the rest of the day. Thankfully the problem has "gone away". It just seemed too extreme to be attributed to oil.

extreme or not I'm having the same problem.

I know this thread is old but I too have conventional car motor oil in my bike. I'm going to change out to 15w40 and will post the results here.

so far it has fixed the problem for me, today when i start it up I'll know if it's fixed when the bike is dead cold. Last night I started the bike, let it warm up, and changed the oil at 6pm, then started it up, rode it down and up the driveway, parked it in the garage and let it cool down til 9pm, came out and started it again, clutch worked perfect, shut it off and will let it sit until noon today, then I'll give it another go.

I used the blue valvoline 15w40.

just came home for lunch and started the bike up, threw it in first gear, fully functional, no problems.

The wrong oil will severely effect the clutch in your bike. The end (for now)

On car oils, I can't recommend any of the energy or resource conserving oils. This have additives that make more slippery. As well as using a thinner base oil. The 5w30, 10w30
Most any of the xw30 weights are usually this way. Once you get into the 10w40 or heavier they don't try make energy conserving. That thick an oil pumps through to hard to save much energy.
I have used Wal Mart's 20w50 car oil, It works ok as long as your clutch is up to spec. If your springs are weak or some other problem it might not be the besrt choise.
Valvolene makes a 20w50 Racing oil that has more of the things our engines need to help protect our cams and rocker arms.
A 50/50 mix of the Vavlolene 20w50 and Wal Mart 20w50 works, ok I ran such a mix for a few years with no problems. The Valvolene for the good stuff, the Wal Mart to save a few bucks.
Leo

IncorporatedX,

Once we changed to the 15W40 diesel oil we had no problems with the clutch adjustments, even the few times used throughout the winter when I was half expecting the problem to resurface.

I have the same issue with my LS2 where the clutch sticks on first start up. I have to shock it with lots of throttle and kick it into 1st with authority. Mine is definitely oil related and the clutch is probably in poor shape. I had to change the oil and out of desperation I used some synthetic 10w30 left over from my car. So I think some of this is my fault.

Back