Clutch and brake shoe compatibility

bcware

Well-read
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the wearable brake and clutch parts on my 1978 xs400 2e; ebay has the lowest prices for some parts, but I do not trust their descriptions with regard to what actually fits.

1. Where is the best place to get brake shoes? I need front and rear. I believe the front and rear shoes are different, but I am having a hard time confirming what actually fits. Mikesxs has both listed, but they are out of stock. The front shoes in particular seem very hard to find.

2. Clutch springs; are later model (80-82, etc) springs the same as '78?

3. Friction discs; are later model (80-82, etc) friction discs the same as '78? I believe the '78 uses 7 discs and the later models perhaps less.

4. I have been using bikebandit to get my oem parts; can anyone suggest another site with better prices? Bikebandit seems a bit high.

Here's what I do for parts compatibility.

Go to www.yamahapartsnation.com.

Select your make, model, year, etc., until you get to the part number you want.

Open another browser.

Go to www.yamahapartsnation.com (so you have the same site on two browser windows.)

Now, do a part number search, without specifying the model.

The results will have an option to select the model. Hit that link, it it will show you all other motorcycles that share that part number. This is how I picked up a front caliper rebuild kit - XS400 1983 wasn't listed, but I share a piston size with an XS750 (only it runs twin front brakes.)

When I check out your brake shoes, I see that the following models use the same shoes. Any of these from eBay will work.

XS360 2D - 1977
XS400 - XS400H - 1981
XS400 2F - 1979
XS400G - 1980
XS400SJ - 1982

Plus a bunch more, but those are the codes I recognize.

It looks like ebay has a few for the 80-81 up front; hopefully they are not mislabeled.

I put new clutch springs, friction plates and pressure plates in my 79 2-f over the winter and got it all from yamaha and I think it was like $100 all original parts.:shrug:

As for the front brake shoes I have not had to change them in the 10k miles that I put on the bike but I would just go to a yamaha dealer and get the right ones. I have bought some aftermarket brakes for my yamaha razz and they sucked nuts. Sure the oem yamaha ones will cost more but the brakes are one thing that must work!!! Don't cheap out on brakes!!:laugh:

I believe my shoes are still fine, but I was considering buying new ones anyway because I don't know how many miles are on them. I'm a spirited rider, but I am not generally mashing the brakes often.

Back