Clutch, cables, and clubmans

unitedhow

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So my bike was up and running (many thanks to xs400.com) but the other day it wouldn't start. Seems like the clutch is not engaging. So I thought it was because I switched to clubmans and had extra length and it's an old cable. I rerouted and adjusted (very tight) but still doesn't seem to engage. I can't spin the back wheel with the clutch lever squeezed while it's in first. I took off the cover but am now totally lost. What could be the problem and how would I fix it?

Also I am going crazy trying to reroute cables can anybody post some pictures of how they did it? It would help so much. I have read other threads with written directions but cannot figure it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 282
Please try to back off on the clutch tightness. I believe that the clutch must be engaged to use the kick-starter.

I can verify that lol I tried to kick my bike over once with the clutch in and thought something terrible had happened to my gear box.. turns out you just can't kick start with the clutch in lol

Can you put the bike in neutral and roll the wheel freely ? If yes then it says to me its probably just a cable issue and not an actual internal clutch issue.

If this was me, i would loosen the cable at the handle and on the side of the bike and do a proper re set up of the clutch cable.

Sorry this took so long. The clutch was pretty stuck. But I found a thread about unsticking it and voilà... All better. After I unstuck it I readjusted the clutch and it works great now. Thanks for the help!

Also I've had great success with the throttle and clutch cable but cannot figure out how to run the front break cable with the clubmans still need help there

Back