clutch in or out to kickstart?

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 79 and I noticed that I could only kick start my bike with the clutch out. Is that normal? Do these older bikes not have a safety device in them that prevents startup without the clutch pulled in? Thanks everyone

These bikes were made in the day when they expected people to be smart enough to see the neutral light on before they tried to start it. The best safety interlock is between your ears....of course the bike rolling forward when you try to kick it may also be a helpful clue.

For you youngsters out there, manual transmission cars used to be able to start in gear. Doors didn't lock when you put a car in gear. There was no chime or buzzer if you left your keys in or lights on. Seatbelt use, or not, was up to you- no lights, no chime. "Passive restraint" was used to decide when to stop drinking if you had to drive.

There's a benefit to asking this question however.

If you have electric start, and you start it with the clutch out and your adjustment is too tight, it WON'T start.

If it only electric starts with clutch in, you have to reset the adjustment.

Drewcifer

It is easy to understand, if you know how the gearbox is buited and where the kickstarter is conected on it. So only neutral and do not tuch the clutch... For older bikers like it is clear, but younger should ask... That for is this forum. Anyhow there are no stupid questions, just can get stupid answer . Beter ask if you are not shure :)

Hough, I didn't take any salt from ya on that one, No harm implied. You were supportive. I also wanted to note my dealio with my adjustment. The adjustment can also fight a kickstart too, if it's wrong, so that with the clutch OUT you can't even kick it over. Adding to the data base as well as encouraging. While dealing with Kickstarts/estarts, make sure your clutch is properly adjusted as well :)

Hough, sorry, I didn't mean to criticize you, I just wanted to encourage joungsters, to ask anything, even things which are for others selfunderstandable :)

Thanks everyone for all the help! All the MSF classes nowadays have estart bikes so they train you to do clutch in/ neutral before starting so not to accidently take off on first in gear.(it sounds ridiculous hearing them tell you that until you see a newbie take off and lose control hitting the light pole in the parking lot:yikes:, luckily she was able to walk away from it with only cuts and bruises but she did have to be dismissed from the class:doh:) Kickstart was completely new to me. I guess people who ride dirtbikes already knew this though. Its good to know at least. I spent 5mins trying to kickstart my bike with clutch in and the kickstart just swung freely.:shrug: It was not until i let go of the clutch that I notice it was catching.:eek: Thanks for understanding the question and where I was coming from everyone! :thumbsup:

ive always hated this because back when my bike didn't like to idle, it occasionally died while i'm coasting to a light or slowing down. i wish i could just clutch in and kickstart it while i was riding instead of trying to find neutral first.

I'm a mid-to-youngster, and I still learned from this. Yeah, the MSF courses all train to keep the clutch in - I suppose there are few enough kick starters still on the road that it doesn't matter.

ive always hated this because back when my bike didn't like to idle, it occasionally died while i'm coasting to a light or slowing down. i wish i could just clutch in and kickstart it while i was riding instead of trying to find neutral first.

I know what you mean, some bikes will let you do that, I'm paranoid when at the lights and I've just pushed my through them to the front :)

Back