Clutch,RPMs and top end

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so now that I have new tires and sorted out the bearings,(thanks Drewp, found a 'bearing mart' here in the city of Orange,near my house! Much cheaper!)I have taken 'Lil Brownie' out on the highway and stretched her legs a bit.

What I have found is she likes 55 mph and will go 65 mph if needed but dosnt like going faster than that. The tach is at 5000+ at 60-65 mph.

What is yer guys experience?

Also, I had to go up a significant hill and after getting to the top and riding a mile or so, the clutch slipped and she revved up high and lost drive.I pulled over and stopped but she seemed ok and having no other choice, I continued another twenty miles or so without another incident.

The bike had sat for a long time, could it be the plates just working back in?
How much play should be on the clutch cable handle?..is there a general rule?
Also, can you replace the front sprocket with a sprocket that has one more tooth for a different gearing?

Do you have a manual?You need one.The clutch should be adjusted first at the engine,then at the lever,about 1/16' TO 1/8". I have a good manual for all SOHC models to '80.I got it by mistake,as I have a '82 DOHC model.PM me if interested,or download a free version on the Tech pages,and have one on your computer. Good luck. lha

the cable could also be fubar'd it seems ok till you put a new one on and wonder how you managed with the original gorilla one!

check the adjustment first, its cheaper

Your engine should not be out of breath at 65. Had mine up to 70+ this Summer and it still wanted to climb. Not much for speed myself, though. These bikes are good for close to 90 if in good tune. Sort out the clutch issue first then, if valve adjust and timing are ok, go back to the carbs.

Wow! 105 mph on these light bikes would be sketchy as heck!!
I guess on the Bonneville Salt Flats I might get her to 105! Wonder what the tach would be reading?! Redlining all the way hahaha!!
Thanks guys for the replys. Ima check the play at the engine and handle.Also check the valve clearances as per my Haynes manual (thanks anyway Iha).
Fun as heck non the less,zipping around town on this classic 'factory custom' machine!

Did 100mph this summer with mine and still had some left in it.:bike: 8k rpm's

With intake/exhaust/weight reduction, and larger tires these bikes will do ever more. My speedo is wrong due to the larger tires, but my friend's is digital. We were doing 90 (mine only said ~75) and there were a lot more revs to go.

Back