Cluth engaging to soon?

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So on my brother V-Star the clutch only starts to engage at the last 3 quarters of the clutch lever pull length. On my seca 400 xs400j the clutch begins to engage immediatly. I have to pull the lever 100% back to shift gears. The gear will fully engage about at about 50%-30% released. Sometimes i can't get it out of 1st without being in motion and pulling really really hard on the foot shifter.

Is there anything out of the ordinary here? Is my clutch too loose?

Sounds like it needs adusting at the engine end first.
Could also have clutch drag poss caused by warped plates or wear ridges in the clutch basket.

Posted via Mobile

How do you adjust the clutch. I see on the handlebars have some twists but how you could adjust it at the engine

I adjusted the clutch at the handle bars. Looks like the adjuster nut is a little striped so it tends to loosen over time. After some adjusting I've got the clutch back to normal. It shifts much much easier now. It was so loose before that the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. Which was giving me problem starting from a dead stop. It was keeping the engine from reeving up properly. I killed 2 birds with one bolt!! Thanks for the help guys.

If the adjusting bolt won't stay adjusted and/or is stripped,you should get another perch.They're not very expensive and would help a lot,as you should be able to lock the bolt to prevent it from loosening. The clutch lever should have about 1/16"-1/8" free play at the perch,so it should be adjusted at the other end of the cable.I downloaded the manual to a cd-rom and adobe so I have a means to copy a drawing and go out and fix whatever I'm working on. Also when you say the clutch is engaged that means that it is fully out as in your hands are not pulling it in,and when you pull the clutch handle you are disengaging it,just to clear that up as I was confused about your explanation. lha

Last edited:
Back