Crankcase, and Engine Mount removal

nasiraod

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am slowly continuing work on my bike, and things are progressing beautifully :)
I would like to remove the Crankcase to access the front sprocket(Labeled G in the picture below), now after I was able to finally remove the 5 screws(Previous owner stripped three of the 5 screws). There's still something keeping the cover attached, and I found a screw and a circlip behind the rubber cover. Can you guys advise me how to remove this cover with no damage? I am also a bit worried about the clutch cable that comes into the cover
Also, I would like to remove the engine mounts(Labeled A in the picture below) so I can paint them. Do I have to put something under the engine? I am just afraid that the engine is not supported enough without those mounts
Picture: http://www.xs400.com/attachments/lefthandside-jpg.11090/
Credits go to chrisd1984 who posted this on his thread

Thank you

I had an answer for you, then I saw the picture of the DOHC :/

Can't help you there. Best bet is to wait for 16VGTIDave, he's the DOHC guru!

I would like to remove the Crankcase to access the front sprocket(Labeled G in the picture below), now after I was able to finally remove the 5 screws(Previous owner stripped three of the 5 screws). There's still something keeping the cover attached, and I found a screw and a circlip behind the rubber cover.
To my recollection, those 6 screws are all that's holding the sprocket cover. You will need to remove the gear shifter too. The cover tends to collect grease and dirt inside, so it might need a little convincing (light tapping or pressure).

Untitled.png

Also, I would like to remove the engine mounts(Labeled A in the picture below) so I can paint them. Do I have to put something under the engine? I am just afraid that the engine is not supported enough without those mounts
I have removed the top motor mounts "A" several times. You will not need anything under the engine, as it will still be supported by 2 bolts in the rear of the engine. The exhaust pipes add support as well, but the rear 2 bolts are enough on their own.

Thank you very much for your help :)
In my case there are only 5 screws, same as this diagram attached
In place of the sixth screw in your diagram, there's the shifter, which might be what's holding it, what about the screw under the plastic cover? Or the clutch cable
I will remover the engine mounts, and paint them ASAP, thanks :)

Attachments

• Image.gif
    Image.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 353
What everyone else has already said. Just be sure to support the engine when removing any mounts. The engine is a structural part of the bike and the frame will flex with the upper mounts removed.

To get the side cover off, remove the foot peg, the shifter (mark it with a pencil for allignment), and the visible screws. A soft mallet may be needed to get the cover loose on its dowels. When you have the side cover off, be sure to loosen the clutch adjustment (under the black rubber plug). Once reassembled, you can then easily adjust the clutch and gently secure the jam nut. Honestly, the jam nut needs little more than being seated. Most people over tighten it and cause themselves headaches later on.

Thank you very much, I just removed the side cover, however I didn't mark it as I got your message afterwards, but I also am planning on polishing the chrome and cleaning the shift, so markings would've been erased anyway
I haven't removed the mounts yet, my cousin gave me a motorcycle lift as a gift, so I think I will raise till it touches the underside of the engine, do you reckon that's enough?
On an unrelated note, is the lift useful for lifting this bike(as it doesn't have a straight area of the frame underneath for the lift to grab to)? If so, how can I use it(since the lowest part of the bike are the exhaust pipes)?
My bike is a 1983 Maxim 400
The lift is like the one in this picture: http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_22156.jpg

Hey @nasiraod, same issue with the lift. How did you finally lift the bike or support the engine when removing upper mounts? I’m going through the same exact deal, would really appreciate your experience on this.

@16VGTIDave do you also have any tips for this? Not sure what would be the best lift for this bike.

thanks

Back