Custom wiring brake lights.

Herr_man

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!

I am no pro when it comes to electrical stuff, but in the picture 1 you see what I am trying to do. I have some tiny LED lamps with BA15s socket that I want to fit into the chopped frame. I am wondering if the wires are supposed to go inside the frame because in the end, there is a lot of white dry rubbery goo in there?
The 2nd picture is the frame and how it's wired. Brake lights and turn signals seems to be connected. I am not sure what my question is, I am just super confused about the whole setup and could use some advice. Hayne's wiring scheme didn't help me at all.

Attachments

• bild 1.jpg
    bild 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 301
  • bild 2.jpg
    bild 2.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 278
You need to be a little more clear on what you currently have and what you are trying to do. Once that is better understood I'm sure someone can help you

Hello!

I am no pro when it comes to electrical stuff, but in the picture 1 you see what I am trying to do. I have some tiny LED lamps with BA15s socket that I want to fit into the chopped frame. I am wondering if the wires are supposed to go inside the frame because in the end, there is a lot of white dry rubbery goo in there?
The 2nd picture is the frame and how it's wired. Brake lights and turn signals seems to be connected. I am not sure what my question is, I am just super confused about the whole setup and could use some advice. Hayne's wiring scheme didn't help me at all.

You can run the wires in the frame, I've run them through handlebars a million times, just make absolutely positive that you have de-burred the holes so they don't short out the wires by cutting them with a sharp edge. As far as wiring the lights, make sure that they're 12V-DC LED's. Power runs to the brake switches, then to the bright side of the lamp, the socket gets grounded to complete the circuit. Check out the wiring diagrams in this forum for the wire colors if you're running a stock wiring harness. Hopes this helps, good luck

Wally

You can run the wires in the frame, I've run them through handlebars a million times, just make absolutely positive that you have de-burred the holes so they don't short out the wires by cutting them with a sharp edge. As far as wiring the lights, make sure that they're 12V-DC LED's. Power runs to the brake switches, then to the bright side of the lamp, the socket gets grounded to complete the circuit. Check out the wiring diagrams in this forum for the wire colors if you're running a stock wiring harness. Hopes this helps, good luck

Wally

Is it standard that the wires are inside the frame?
I've been trying to understand the wire diagrams but I guess I have to go back to the school book and study how to read those. The right working lamp had 3 wires connected to it. I guess one from the battery and one continuing down to the right turn signal and one wire that is connected with the brake? Does that make sense.

Is it standard that the wires are inside the frame?
I've been trying to understand the wire diagrams but I guess I have to go back to the school book and study how to read those. The right working lamp had 3 wires connected to it. I guess one from the battery and one continuing down to the right turn signal and one wire that is connected with the brake? Does that make sense.

No... not really. Here's a basic wiring diagram for your rear lights. If this doesn't make sense to you then consider finding a friend who knows a little more about wiring to give you a hand (so you can understand it better). Most people or manufacturers don't run wires internally (within the frame tubes) since it stands a better chance of shorting out (which could cause a fire), it's also a pain to repair wires that have been placed within the frame, and unless it's a show bike running them along the frame is easier and looks fine. Electrical wiring is like anything else, you have to learn it through experience so be patient.

Good luck,

Wally

XS400_stock_rear_lights.jpg

Thanks for the wire flow.

My brake/rear lights are all gray and they seem to be connected to the turn signals as far as I can tell.

There is one wire going to the rear light and one going from it? And the wire that activates the brake, is that only one wire? So all in all 3 wires to each brake/rear lamp?

Back