Did I do this right?

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I just put on forks from an xs550 on my xs400RJ. The forks are pretty much identical with 2 exceptions.

1. The brake caliper is a little higher thus making it only pinch on half of the disk. Would the rotor from an xs550 fix this?

2. The left fork doens't look like its on the axle right. ( look at pic). i thought the axle sat flush with the edge of the fork. Or does it matter.

full

I'm def no expert so hopefuly more will reply. In my short experience diff year/model xs's don't match up even if they look like they should(just got a canada bike and its not close on a lot of stuff). If I had to guess there is some design issue between the diff size bikes. Is the bike rideable how does it handle? If i had to guess the wheels are diff(like i said no expert) maybe a new spacer would fix it.

Looks like you need a spacer to take up the gap between the hub bearings and the fork leg. Probably can measure and find something on the net.

its more or less right. there is a shouldered part of the axle which butts against the speedo drive. it is then clamped to the fork. This is after the nut on the other side has been tightened to 70 lbs ft.

it does seem to be a couple of mm out as the speedo slot is barely in its corresponding partner. Loosen the right stantion and clamp, then turn to see if it is slightly bent and causing this issue.

The fork has some play in in when I loosen the pinch bolt. So I can slide it towards the speedo or out to the edge of the axle. I just don't know which way I'm supposed to go. Drewpy So Am I supposed to push it all the way flush with the speedo drive and leave the hole on the outside of the axle fully exposed. Is that the proper way?

Also I've noticed while diriving the bike is that the fork tree has some play in it. It's the hinge part that pivots back and forth when you turn. It rocks back and forth when I brake. Is there a way to tighten that?

Last edited:
There is usually a large nut under the crown nut that tightens against the bearings. The manual says to be careful not to over-tighten because you can generate thousands of pounds of force on the bearings pretty easily.

the hole on the end of the axle is for holding the axle while you tighten up the nut to torque.

tip, if its horizontal, you can get the R clip or split pin in horizontally over the nut when its tight.

Back