Dies in gear

Pictures of your clutch lever and perch.
Pictures of your kickstand switch you said was beat up.

And just general photos of the bike from different angles.

:)

1c83e1c0388b35d43f2401543c9e214fb31892cec0d3966c7fe11955b5efe18f.jpg

Okay I hope this worked.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 244
It worked!

I think I might see the problem.

That cover you took off to take pictures... Was the clutch cable attached to it before you took it off?

Where's that kickstand switch?

Yes it was attached. When I got the bike the cable was seized to I cut it off right before it went into that cover. When I got the new cable I stuck it where the old cable went.... I think. Also when I was talking about the switch it was night and I was looking at the bike with iPhone light so.... I think I mistook the rear brake switch (which was dangling under the bike at the time) for the kick stand switch so maybe there isn't one? I don't know ill look at it tomorrow and see what I can find out. But yeah the new cable was attached when I took the cover off (after doing so I detached the new cable).

Yeah, adding safety switch to a 360 would be a fair bit of work.
I can't see someone going to the effort just for a relatively minor safety feature.

Looks like there is no switch at the clutch lever. They didn't come with one stock so there's no issue there.

The bike clearly had some modifications before you got it. With that and half the wires disconnected your problem might be there.
Does the neutral light work?
That's really the only thing electrically on the 360 that should be affected by shifting out of neutral. A crossed connection involving that could possibly kill power.

Oh I didn't even think about the neutral light. Since when I'm done I am just going to use the speedo and that it, would tying together (or separating) the wires right below the front sprocket make it so that the neutral light is always on?

It's a normally open switch. Tying them together would keep the light on permanently, assuming the wiring harness is connected properly everywhere else.

Even if you don't plan on using the neutral light or stock wiring harness I'd open up the headlight bucket and verify everything against the wiring diagram. It will eliminate any wiring issues and make troubleshooting easier. Once you know that everything is working in a stock setup you'll have a much easier time modifying things.

Btw, it does look like a really fun project and a sweet bike to work on. Similar condition to my 360 when I got it.

Okay and thanks! I'm pretty sure everything is stock and working, there were no cracks or anything bad with the stock wiring so I'm pretty sure its all good. Anyway thanks.

It's still dying, no? Something is not OK.
We've determined that there is no switch at the clutch perch, no kickstand switch, but something is still killing ignition power when you switch gears, before you release the clutch.

Is that an accurate summary of the problem?

Uhh yeah. So as you can see it's just up on its kickstand and I am just testing the engine out. Anyway whenever I get it running it goes fine in nuetral. When I put it in gear even with the clutch in or out it dies. And since the wheel if off the ground it shouldn't be stalling or anything. Also when I pull in the clutch in gear I can spin the wheel (when the engine is off).

At this point I'm pretty much guessing.
I'm leaning towards it being an electrical issue or something still related to the clutch since you're still having an issue with pull force.

None of the fuses are bypassed?

Yeah I am definitely leaning towards electrical because I took the plugs out and put it in gear and spun it over and there was no spark. The I put it in nuetral and there was spark. I'll checkout that neutral light thingy tmw.

Back