Do exhaust leaks contribute much to loudness?

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My bike came with slash pipes. Very loud. Then I found a pair of Hooker Tuned Flow Exhaust on Craigslist. They are not much quieter. Since they did not fit, I attached them into a pipe sleeve that connected to the header on one side and the muffler on the other. Although they seemed tight when I connected them, I can feel exhaust coming out at the connection points. Does that leak affect the volume of noise much? If so, what is the easiest way to tighten them up?

yes, having holes will make them louder. Making exhausts gas tight is tricky, because whatever you use to seal the gaps will have to withstand large variations in temperature: not the ideal for most epoxies and the like.

If you can weld, do that. It's the only real way to fix a leaky exhaust system. Otherwise you could try high temp rating JB weld or some type of exhaust-specific stuff. I found Gun Gum somewhere (specific for exhausts but it's not very good, as I have read) and I'm gonna try it out on my exhaust soon.

I have seen some metallic wrap stuff somewhere that you can wrap around the sleave then slip your muffler over it.As you tighten down the bracket that holds your muffler its crushes down sealing any leaks.
Otherwise welding is your best solution.

Or slip a soda can (maybe even double layer) between it, I've read about that helping

Go to your local auto parts store and find some copper high temp silicone sealant. I use Permatex Ultra Copper. It will seal the leak (once it is cured) and withstand the heat.

Take apart the joints and clean them. Put a thin coating of sealant on the inside of the pipe that goes over, and on the outside of the pipe that slips inside. Put them together using a twisting motion if possible. Install the clamp, but don't tighten it! Let the sealant cure for 12 hours or longer if possible, then tighten the clamp and start the bike. You shouldn't have any leaks!

Go to your local auto parts store and find some copper high temp silicone sealant. I use Permatex Ultra Copper. It will seal the leak (once it is cured) and withstand the heat.

Take apart the joints and clean them. Put a thin coating of sealant on the inside of the pipe that goes over, and on the outside of the pipe that slips inside. Put them together using a twisting motion if possible. Install the clamp, but don't tighten it! Let the sealant cure for 12 hours or longer if possible, then tighten the clamp and start the bike. You shouldn't have any leaks!

+1

Permatex ultra copper is the only thing I would use on an exhaust that I didn't want to weld. I also use it on the exhaust flange at the head. I've never found anything else that will hold up to the heat.

Back