Do you change your own tires?

Joshwuh

XS Student
Reaction score
Just wanted to do a poll to see how many of us changed our own tires and how many paid shops to do it. I asked around last summer and most shops charged $40 - $100 (usually around $55) and I thought that was pretty steep - mainly because I used to work at a bicycle shop where it costs $8 labor :-D

Regardless, I changed my own rear last summer (without tire levers) and it was a pain but worth the money saved. With tire levers I imagine it could be done in less than an hour. Personally, I'm going to buy tire levers and keep changing my own (and possibly change those of my friends for a small price :laugh:).

How about you?

Agreed! However, I did manage to scratch up my rim a good amount that way due to my impatience :-D Fortunately, you can't really see that edge of the rim unless the tire is off!

I hate doing it. My motocross shop guy only charges me $25 to do it, so I just give it to him. Too much headache for me, not worth "saving" the $25.

Yeah, trying to get a shop to change tires on old bikes can be a real pain. Locally, either the name brand shops won't do it unless you buy the tires from them at top dollar or they want $80/tire!!!!! Found one indie that wanted $35/tire but lucked out on a newly opened shop that did it for $10/tire, mounted and balanced. He did a nice job w/o rim damage.

I considered doing myself when I got the wheels vapour blasted but my local bike shop only want $20 to take off for both tyres and another $30 to put them back on 2 weeks later. They did it while I waited too.

have done my own and a mates, but prefer to use the local bike shop.

If the wheels get marked I want new rims. and they are £100 each!

I wish I had at least tried (and failed), I still would have saved money and had a couple extra tools. But that is another story.

Man, it sounds like a lot of you guys get some great deals!!! I would definitely pay $25 to have mine changed. And I also wouldn't want to change tires on anything bigger than a 400 I can only imagine the agony!

I changed my own..pretty easy..just some grunt work here and there.
My buddy took brand new powder coated rims..new tubes and new tires to a local shop and had them mounted and balanced...came back and the guy told him $100??????????
He argued with the guy and got the price down to $55 total...still BS considering it takes all of 10 minutes with a few basic tools.
I pulled both of mine off the bike..removed old tires..installed new and reinstalled on the bike in just over an hour..and thats with one stubby tire iron.

I do all my bikes, I used to get charged $10 per tire off the bike but the last time I was charged $50 per tire off the bike, said id never pay again and been doing it since. For balancing I used dynabeads but this last time I didnt use anything, been up to 135mph without any additional vibration. Dishsoap and cussing are key.

I used some spoons I bought at a local shop. For "rimsavers" I used oil bottle plastic, but I am told orange juice jugs also work well. I lubed the wheels/rims with glass cleaner. The hardest part is not pinching the tube.

Back