ECP's '82 Rebuild Thread

Ok cool.... after dumping too much money into the frankenbike and basically getting my ass kicked by it and losing interest... I got lucky and found a completely stock, running 81 on CL. Was fairly close to me, so I jumped on it. Now I have a decent bike to build off.

All I'm going to do for now is;
Paint the old 360 tank and put it on this bike,
Put the drag bars on,
Put the pods on,
Do all the maintenance,
Get new tires (he threw in a brand new front)

Basically, get it road ready for the riding season (March-ish here).
Slowly mod it after that.

IMG_15231_zpsc59c0a03.jpg

IMG_15241_zpsa5ac0f6f.jpg

:bike:

So, put the drag bars on the new bike then gave it a good wash. Up next is;

shorten clutch/throttle cables to make up for the shorter bars. I'll try re-routing them first before I start cutting.

Run a ground from the bar controls to the frame. Since the bars are painted black, the controls have no connection (no workie).

Put new smaller m/c and stainless fr brake line on.

etc etc.

Looks like I'll be able to ride this summer!

IMG_1560_zps9bfaa8bc.jpg

IMG_1551_zps13614466.jpg

The more I see them, the more I like drag bars. That's a nice looking bike sir! What if you sand a ring of black paint off so they worky again? Is it that much easier just to ground via wire? Wait, i just answered that to myself... yes, sanding sucks :p

And at $20, drag bars were the perfect choice for me! Totally changes the look of the bike.

Thought about sanding under the switch... but there's already wires going from the switch to the headlight so I figured just hitch a ride with those. That way I won't worry about if it's making good contact or corrosion starting.

The chrome on this bike is amazing... hardly any pitting. The chain guard is a little rough, but the fenders are awesome! The engine looks pretty dull... but I almost don't want to start polishing... once you start; you can't stop!

image_zpsc436bf8e.jpg

Did a little work on the scoot. Oil's changed; new master cylinder is on; stainless brake line is on; engine got cleaned up; grounded the starter switch so it works.

It starts well, but stumbles a bit on idle. Im going to build my other set of carbs, along with pod filters and swap them in. After that, I'll have to build some sort of battery box since Ill nix the stock box.

In the meantime, Im going to paint the tank thats on there. I like the look of it right now... But its begging to be painted black!

Back