Exaust wrap problems

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
HI guys I was doing some research about disadvantages of running exaust wrap.I wondering if anybody has had this problem that has to do with it rotting pipes?I ready that it will burn your pipes up after a period of 2-3 years and that if you ever attempt to unwrap it your pipes will come off in flaking pieces.I was considering this option but after what i read I not going to use it.If you want to keep that hot exaust gas inside your pipes your better off going with ceramic coating.

There are different types of wrap. Im not sure if that effects it, but I know of three different types. I doubt that people would use it so much if it did all those things regularly. If the pipe is clean and free of rust going into it, then it should be ok.

From what I read it can happen to brand new exaust systems.It especialy worse if your wrap gets wet from rain /water.Where I live it is a bike town and after all the bikes I have seen not one person has exaust wrap.I found this out by googling advantages and disadivantages of using exaust wrap.Do a search and see what answers you come up with.

I've seen headers on cars that blew out after having been wrapped for a year or so. Ceramic coatings, especially if applied on the inside and outside of the pipes, has a better reputation.

Ya I got titanium wraps. with these the wrap can be unwrapped and rewrapped at the expense of ties, so if I check them after every season I think I should be ok. any thoughts?

p.s.
Dont really plan on riding this bike in the rain much, more of a quick mob through the local canyons. I have my other bike if I want to travel any distances.

Utah doesnt get alot of rain and your climate is usualy very dry and I didnt read anything about the Titanium wraps but you should in better shape than most who use the wrap on the exaust.I live in a damp climate so I know they wouldnt be good here.

Ive read about exhaust wrap and used it before in the past. I find most sites warning about the use of exhasut wrap then go on to sell you on ceramic coating which is much more expensive than wrap. As for the moisture problem, If you are wrapping over unprotected or uncoated or plain steel, then your headers are going to rust anyways. Sure having the exhaust wrap on there and then letting it get wet will cause the headers to rust faster but they were gonna rust anyways. If you are using stainless then you shouldnt have any problems. Also, most people wrapping headers on a bike like the XS400 are doing it for looks and to stop burns from the pipes.

I did a quick read on the Titanium wrap from what i read its new on the market and also made from crush lava rock.It should be better than the standard cloth wrap that you have to paint.Im sure its cost more than the traditional wrap also.I would use it over the tradional cloth wrap.It also looks shinier which I like over the traditional cloth wrap.

This is my opinon but I personaly think that most of these wraps look like crap and take away the natural beauty of the exhaust by covering the chrome finish.I like things that shine.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but its classic tracker, cafe style. From the looks of it, you like the stock bikes a little more? and thats fair, but this other culture people are building with chopped up cafes and customs is awesome, and exhaust wraps have been there from the beginning so you cant hate on them to much ha

Drewpy I have seen a bit of your thread but not all of it. SS header? homemade?

Motad made a 2 in 1 in the UK (quite a few around still) and their headers are stainless, abet not a high grade one, so they tarnish easy and being single skinned, are noisy.
I still have a spare set in the attic for a rainy day. :)

When you sit down to do it, I'd suggest getting in a comfy position with a bucket of water to soak the wrap (less airborne 'glass to irritate your eyes/skin) nitrile gloves and going back to front on the headers. Take your time as it's an annoying enough job to only warrant doing it once.

Im very glad its a sitdown job I would have someone do it for me if it wasnt.I have tackled some complicated tasks in my life Im sure I can do this.:D

Forgot to mention this I can get a whole harley exhaust system for $35 in excellent condition would the mufflers be worth my time yes no maybe?

I can attest to the fact that Harley mufflers aren't exactly light but it seems others have used them on their bikes. I've seen them on SR500's -not sure about XS400's but why not? If you dig 'em that's all that matters.

Well I can buy them localy no ordering on line,The price is right and extra pipe I might be able to use for fabbing a 2 N 1 ,Or just use the mufflers they should give my bike exhaust a deep throaty sound I hope anyways.

Back