Exhaust crack

Dmwelch

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys first off good news: finally got my bike running I. Tip top shape, charging system is charging, fixed the choke with a bearing from a grease fitting and it starts on first kick or click of starter.

All that being said, I have a really bad crack my muffler, are there any cheap short term solutions for this? High heat jb weld? Using a bronze rod and a steel plate and welding over?

As usual, I look forward to your thoughts

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 269
Talk to someone who welds stainless steel.It will look like crap but you can always get some exaust wrap and wrap up the crack in the muffler.
At some point and time when you can get too it replace both mufflers.
Look in our classified section you might find something in there.

Hi, reviving this thread instead of creating one since it looks like the closest one to a question I have!

So my first doubt is: What are our exhausts made out of!? Stainless steel like Scorpio suggests? Do they vary by model year? I have a '77. How thick? (I think 16 gauge).
Reason is I am trying to do a small weld job on my muffler pipes and I could have a buddy try to do it for me but I really want to try and tackle it alone but it's been hard finding info like what kind of gas mixture, wire type, voltage and speed settings I need without even knowing what type of material I am going to be working on. Specially because every source of information out there is more dedicated to the muscle memory aspect of the welding trade rather than the metallurgy behind it.

Thanks in advance!

If you do find the info on the steel used on the exhausts,the I go to Lincoln or Miller sites and they give ballpark adjustments for the welders...
Did yamaha really use stainless steel 30-40 YEARS ago or just chrome over plain steel...just asking as I will be tackling exhaust pretty soon myself...

I think it's just plain steel that has been chromed. Most of these rot from the inside out from moisture.

Back