external front drum brake linkages

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
While trying to adjust my front brake cable today I removed the external linkage from their posts and tried to gain adjust-ability by moving them, in parallel, to a different place on the "spindle". Now I cannot get the linkage back on the spindle posts. I have loosened the bolts, I have tried tapping them both to no avail. Is there something I am missing here? The Haynes manual does not touch on any of this and I am banging my head against the wall. Suggestions please????

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 142
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 133
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 144
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 169
I notice in every picture the clamp bolts are in the arms, I believe you need to have them off to install or remove the arms, at least that is how most levers with clamp bolts are whether it's the brake peddle on my Yamahas or the shifter on my Sportsters.

I notice in every picture the clamp bolts are in the arms, I believe you need to have them off to install or remove the arms, at least that is how most levers with clamp bolts are whether it's the brake peddle on my Yamahas or the shifter on my Sportsters.
They came of very easily initially. they wouldn't go on all the way and now are giving me a problem coming back off. As far as the bolts,I had one of them off totally and still no difference. I took these shots just before I walked away from it for the day. I will look at it tomorrow with clear eyes and a better attitude. Thanks for the help.

Back