First ride on the road..... lil problem

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
First ride on the road..... lil problem - solved

Got my learners permit, got it registered and took it for my FIRST spin around the block.

Just got back.

This is my first bike btw.... and everything was going smoothly, except i could not shift above third gear! Given my top speed 35 mph or so , probably didn't much need to anyway, but hopefully this is a simple fix because my mechanical skills are pretty simple.

I will start researching this problem now, but please chime in with any suggestions.

Thanks!

Afterthought... I don't think I got above maybe...4000 RPM. Would the bike refuse to shift if not revving high enough?

Last edited:
I don't know much about transmissions so I have few thoughts or suggestions, however, my clutch cable was out of adjustment at one point and shifting was very difficult until I set it properly. Not outright impossible though.

When moving, the bike should shift up and and down through all the gears at just about any rpm if everything is adjusted properly.

Can we assume you have fresh oil in the engine, proper level and the correct type?

Yup. Got fresh oil and new filter. New headlight .all new or rebuilt front brakes. Cleaned out gas tank with vinegar and new registration..... clutch might need adjusting. Works, but not sure how it is supposed to work... 1st 3 gears are fine...

Afterthought... I don't think I got above maybe...4000 RPM. Would the bike refuse to shift if not revving high enough?
This shouldn't affect the upshifting ,Like Lou mentioned correct oil and level is key for the the transmissions on these bikes to shift.Your shifting fork may not be engaging properly would be another cause.

Maybe I have the oil level off... when checking the little oil window, should the bike be on the regular kickstand or the stand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground? Does it make a difference?

Hey....just went down to check the oil and it is very low. Added the last bit of Harley Davidson synthetic 20-50 I had, but not nearly enough. Not buying any more of that brand....cost a fortune. Perhaps I messed up when I changed it. Never noticed any leaks on the floor.... but was my first time changing motorcycle oil. Everything is a first with this bike. Sure hope more oil fixes it. Thanks a lot!

Make sure your bike is up on the center stand and level then check your oil level.Dont over fill.There should be some marks on the site glass for proper measurement.

Hey....just went down to check the oil and it is very low. Added the last bit of Harley Davidson synthetic 20-50 I had, but not nearly enough. Not buying any more of that brand....cost a fortune ...
There are lots of threads on here about oil - almost as many as crabs in the carbs.
The most important thing is to use oils for WET clutches. On the label is will say "MA" if it's good.
The good oils are really cheap in the States - I always bring back a gallon or more when we visit if I can. Here's one with some basic info to start:
And we can't stress enough about having the bike perfectly level and on the centre stand when you add oil. On the side stand the sight glass shows totally empty so it's easy to overfill. And it's awfully hard to hold the bike vertical while bending down to look at the sight glass. Even with a second person holding the bike all you can do is verify that there is oil in there.

In my case, there was enough adjustment available on the cable where it attaches to the clutch handle. Easy and quick to do - similar to how the adjustment screw on bicycle brakes works ..

Once I put the bike on th center stand and leveled it,mi think that 1/8 qt of oil I tossed in the other night slightly over filled it. Not enough to bother with draining anyway...

So now I'll see if that gizmo by the left hand grip will allow me to adjust the clutch.
My Yamaha manual says to "loosen clutch adjuster lock nut" OK lefty..loosey...I can do that..then "turn the adjuster either in or out until proper free play is attained. Then tighten lock nut.

What is the proper amount of free play? I think perhaps I need to tighten it ( righty tighty) because it takes a full squeeze to engage the clutch... Does that sound logical? I don't know what the f..k I'm doing... Will play with it this weekend. May bribe a more talented friend with beers to consult...

The clutch lever and cable are set up so you can have about 1.5 inch of free play, while still fully engaging the clutch when you squeeze it. It's not so hard to adjust really.

Second ride today and no problems at all... all 5 gears shifted smoothly ( except when I jerked the clutch) so I'm thinking the problem was with me not the bike. Maybe those clumsy 'LL BEAN boots were to blame...

My impression - besides the terror and rush - was that the bike is geared low but likes higher rpms. It also seems kind of loud, but still quieter than before I switched out the slash pipes that came on it. Now I just gotta get some basic riding practice and learn how to swerve and stuff. My learners permit is good for 60 days and gotta take and pass a $200 safety course in Connecticut before I get the regular motorcycle license.

Thanks for all the tips and patience.

I don't know about CT but here in NY they have motorcycle safety courses that supply bikes and teach you how to ride. If you pass the course you don't have to take a road test.
Around here the Harley dealer puts on the course. I think it's like $275. They teach you all the right things were learning from just anybody or by yourself you learn all assorts of bad habits.
Well worth the time and money.
Leo

Back