First Step To Build! (jumping the gun)

jacjr

Jacjr
Reaction score
Totally jumping the gun here guys but anywhere heres where im at

The Back Story

my dad bought a 1980 XS400 SG for $100 like 5 years ago, ran fine all that good stuff, just didnt have a title (long story not worth typing, the bike isnt stolen lol) they're just harley guys and it was supposed to be a learner bike for my mom. mom doesnt want it, i took it over, recently we pulled it out to look at it to see if i wanted to keep it or sell it. I decided to sell it until i came across this site and saw fubars chopper and thought WOW thats amazing, that came from a yamaha?? NO WAY so i looked deeper and deeper and realized that not only can you make a bad ass bobber out if an xs but its extreamly cheaper than choppin a sporty up to the way id like it.

Where We Stand Today

The xs currently wont stay running, it was running but only on one cylender, until we had a friend look at the carbs. Once he got done playin with the carbs it would no longer stay running, So i bought a pair of carbs which shipped in today.. pulled the tank off and and got everything set up so that tomorrow i can start farting around with carb sync and all that good stuff

Like i said, im jumping the gun but its the first step, Get it running, get a title... DISASSEMBLE!! Pics of stock bike coming soon!!:thumbsup:

WP_20130426_004_zpsde0187a4.jpg

WP_20130426_001_zpsc6dc2e51.jpg

WP_20130426_003_zps9faa9164.jpg

I agree run it then chop it ;) every one on this forum will tell you if you're bike don't run right CLEAN THE CARBS if that don't work CLEAN THE CARBS if it still doesn't work you guessed it CLEAN AND CUSS AT THEM DAMNED CARBS AGAIN and while you're in there be sure to check the diaphragms for cracks :doh: good luck I'll be looking for another 450 to be going under the knife in the near future. Chop on

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
lol yes I was just about to tell you to clean the carbs :p

take them off, disassemble them, take off any delicate parts (rubber stuff, butterfly valves) and boil them in vinegar or lemon juice. Then probe through all the small passages with some guitar string or fine wire from a wire brush, and boil them again.

Set the float height as per manual, put the carbs back together, set the idle mixture screws out 3 to 3.5 turns and try to run the bike again. If it doesn't you've missed some of the passages when probing so go back and do it all again.

no sir still messin with the old ones because i dont want to run it with no fuel filter i have 40 minutes until my local shop opens up im gonna check there first for one, but i did find that the cap for the vacuum line is missing off the side that should have one... wtf... what should i do about it?

NEVERMIND my dad had it!!!

Last edited:
LMAO i would go that far but im about to put new carbs in.. picked up a filter that works just need to find some hose clamps and ill be happy! lets see how the xs treats me today aha

Those new carbs are clean so DON'T run them without a good filter on them:)

Hooked everything up had her runnin for a good three for minutes turned it off to hook up home made manometer... Got nothin I kicked that son of a bitch a hundred times and nada i don't know what I'm missing. shit I even put the tank back on and everything and yes I made sure the kills witch wasn't in the off position:laugh:

You know what.... Both are probably the issue I need to get new plugs anyway got knows how old these are and the battery can just go on the charger that thing is brand new lol

Is something like this what you are using to sync the carbs? Before you hooked up the manometer it seemed to run good then.

Attachments

• carbsync.jpg
    carbsync.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 251
Also when you hooked up the gas tank to refill the carbs with gas did you set it to prime so the gas will flow without the vacuum line hooked up?

Another thing to look at ( after the battery and plugs thing) is your air filters. Make sure they are not falling apart. Bad air filters will cause a bunch of tuning issues.

Attachments

• DSC02130.jpg
    DSC02130.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 215
Back