First XS400 Cafe Conversion

Stevo

StevO
Reaction score
Just got the new Coker - Firestone Vintage 4.50-18 installed on the front, really like these tires, after I installed the front wheel back on its looks like there maybe something missing on the right side bewteen hub and fork, almost like a dust cover maybe, I keep good track of my parts but you never know....anybody see anything missing here?

Stevo

Attachments

• WheelHub.jpg
    WheelHub.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 424
I do realize its not tighted up..... just looks like a dust cover or something is missing, another note, the tire when spinning has a slight side to side wobble, just slightly maybe 1/8" each side, do you think that is normal?

Thanks all,
Stevo

Should get the front end done this week, still need to get the spokes clean, they are pretty bad though....found a guy in town who does spokes and trueing, makes his own, I may go that route after spending days sanding and polishing the hubs, forks and trees....

Stevo

Attachments

• Front Vintage.jpg
    Front Vintage.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 434
Just got the new Coker - Firestone Vintage 4.50-18 installed on the front, really like these tires, after I installed the front wheel back on its looks like there maybe something missing on the right side bewteen hub and fork, almost like a dust cover maybe, I keep good track of my parts but you never know....anybody see anything missing here?

Stevo

I would say the forks are slightly bent, I can see the top hat spacer in there, and that's all there is (unless someone has other ideas)

the lateral movement of the wheel, just needs a skilled hand to true it up, but if you are fiting new spokes there won't be any problem.

loose spokes are recognised by a thud, rather than a ding and need tightening

This what mine looks like; note the gap on the bottom clamp (trailing, or left side). I believe you're also supposed to push down on the forks a few times before tightening everything.

Attachments

• xsfront1.jpg
    xsfront1.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 340
  • xsfront2.jpg
    xsfront2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 347
  • xsfront3.jpg
    xsfront3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 350
The gap is mentioned in the chassis section of the manual on the site, tightening it like it says may put the gap in the right place.

Attachments

• forkgap.png
    forkgap.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 342
Thanks all, and you are correct, I actually didnt get email alerts to your reply's but i was sitting down looking at it and did the mind math and it made sense!

So got the Vintage mounted and installed (still need to clean or respoke the rim), the headlight and mini gauges also... I think i'm going for the wiring next, yikes! I am going to go about it per Drewpy's method on wiring he posted, more or less anyway, gonna mount a plate of aluminum under the seat frame bars all the way to the rear loop and then mount all those electronic boxes that i'm still learning what the heck they do.

Attachments

• NiceShotRightSide.jpg
    NiceShotRightSide.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 330
Want to replace the ignition switch, it's an 1980, I see lots for 81- but not for the 80, does anybody know if the 1981- will work or what the difference is, dont know if it matters but it is electronic ignition....or if you know of anywhere i can find a new/aftermarket?

Thanks,
Stevo

Mounted mini gauges right on the top tree....

Attachments

• Top_Lamp_guage.jpg
    Top_Lamp_guage.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 395
Drewpy can you tell me how to attach pics not as thumbnails but actual size in these windows?

Thanks,
Stevo

use photobucket, its easier, fukr is no good for forums.

copy the IMG tagged links into the message box and type your info around it

I used a marine ignition switch just a simple on/off switch really.

Mikuni VM carbs -
Have been looking at the VM34 carbs, does anybody know if i will need a second petcock.....? What is the method to get fuel from one petcock to both of these carbs?

Stevo

Back