Fork Upgrade Musings

Here is a picture of the XS400 project with the GSXr front end. Got to this stage and ended up being some things we didn't like, so broke it back down to make some minor changes.

Attachments

• XS400after.jpg
    XS400after.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 544
So...went looking around on the allballs site.
From what I can gather from the charts:
My Maxim shares it's bearing ID/OD/width
with the 535 Virago 87-99
AND they can provider a bearing set to adapt the yzf R6 stem with a 30/48/12 bearing top and bottom.
So all there is left to account for is lenght...but like I said...a spacer (lenght wise) should be a pretty straightforward fix...?

.... no. It depends on the type of bearing, too. You might not be able to put a spacer on top of certain types of bearings. You have to look at how the bearing is going to take the load top & bottom not just ID/OD.

Also just FYI I ordered several sets of bearings from allballs. You see in the picture I posted I have an XS wheel mounted on the GSXr front end. I'm using the stock GSXr axle, custom machined side spacers, and custom fit bearings.

I ordered the proper ID/OD bearings from allballs and they were 7.5mm OD off and I forget how much off ID. 3 reorders and never got it right. The package gave the right measurements, but the bearings themselves were not even close.

Speaking of wheels.... when swapping a front end you will want to address that, too. What are your plans for wheels? Adapt an XS front wheel to the new forks or adapt a new rear wheel to the XS rear? Brakes? Handle bars? The list goes on.

I used the top clamp and clip on bars from the GSXr. I also used a donor tank and grafted the gas cap into the stock XS tank. So the gas cap and ignore ignition key all match (and it no longer says Suzuki anywhere). GSXr front calipers, R1 rear caliper, matching GSXr slotted rotors all around, R1 pegs... I think I'm swapping wheels. Currently have 18" front and rearear. Thinking of going 19 front 17 rear.

But I digress.... :)

As per the front wheel....it would be a complete front end swap...cause I figure if i'my gonna upgrade then I might as well upgrade all at once i.e. forks/twin disk/alum alloy wheel (lighter)
As for the rear wheel....:umm:...am not sure
My 350$(pretty sweet deal...might make a few bucks back by selling the frame,tank...and other stuff I will not use) gets me a r6 complete frame without motor...so I will also have the rear wheel/disk /caliper and everything....oh and the r6 swingarm...but the front is a headache as it is....one thing at a time I say

Back