Front caliper leaking

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
After replacing ( with a kit ) the master cylinder and hose with a steel one, I THEN noticed brake fluid leaking out by the front calipers... My Yamaha service manual is not much help. It just says replace pads when worn....

Can anyone direct me to some instructions ( geared to a 6 year old ) for fixing a leak? My mechanical skills are not very advanced... I can find a parts diagram, but am not brave or smart enough to just wing it.

Thanks for any sugestions.

If you search the forum there are many write ups that give very clear details on how to rebuild your caliper.More than likely its the rubber boot around the piston thats leaking.

Is it leaking at the hose connection? First try tightening the banjo bolt at the caliper. If after tightening, it still leaks, you can take off the bolt and replace the two copper crush washers. Mikes XS sells them for a buck and change. Bleed and check.

Since I replaced the brake hose with a steel one with new banjo bolts on both ends, I don't think that is the problem - unless there is another banjo I'm not yet aware of.

I thought the recomendation to buy a caliper rebuild kit would be the answer, but can't find any for sale. I think my 1982 maxim xs400J's is different from the xs400. Not sure if another model might be interchangeable ... I bet someone else with a 1982 maxim has solved this already - if I can only find them....

Spent an hour searching outside the forum with no luck. Then got the answer from Surveywaters in a PM. I'll share the answer for other Maxim owners...

Yeah man, the part number is 4X8-W0057-00-00 for the piston and seals. If you go here and put the part number in the search box, then when it comes up click the 'where it's used' next to the add to cart button. This shows avery model the piston and seals were used on. Then you can find 30 of them on EBAY.

-----------

I ended up ordering the assembly here

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500421fcf8700209bc78748e/front-brake-caliper

It was clear that on this site, that the assembly fit my 82 xs400J AND that the assembly they sold contained 2 seals and a cylinder. eBay may have been a bit cheaper, but I was not certain from the discriptions....exactly what was in the kit or models it fit.

Last edited:
Back