Front forks pre-seasonal check - watch out!

thegrouch

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

For this year I planned with my XS to:
a)replace head bearings
b)change oil in front forks.

After dismantling - just few things for you to watch out for / check out.

1. Dismantling front forks is a bit tricky, but I didn't expect to see front pipes being bent. Check that out before dismantling. Putting them back and aligned 100% parallel may be a bit tricky.

rmgk.jpg

The bike had a bit of rough past, but no direct hit - just 30 years of history... Fortunately, thanks to Japan's quality in 80s, these can be straigthened (20$ each).

2. Upper yoke - you're happy about steel brake wires. Well... check if it isn't a silent killer :D

07zr.jpg

3. Replacing front bearings to taper bearings wasn't that painfull, although they don't fit perfectly. Funny though, that I could only spot wear on the lower bearing race (tiny holes barely seen on the picture). THese little holes made the steering wheel lock in "straight on" position.

cwic.jpg

Oh - just in case - there should be 19balls in a single bearing :wink2:

regards
Oscar

3. Replacing front bearings to taper bearings wasn't that painfull, although they don't fit perfectly.

If you use the OEM lower seal instead of the provided one they will fit perfectly. Pretty much everyone has this issue when installing them from what I can remember; it was the aftermarket seals causing the issues with fitment.

Well, those I used didn't have seals at all so I used the old ones anyway. Still it seemed that the "crown nut" on top of the steering stem didn't catch as much of the thread as before, even after making sure I pushed bearing races all the way into frame. But it looks as it got enough to keep it safely. Maybe it will align a bit after few rides - I need to remember to adjust it later on.

regards

The bearing will "seat" over a number of rides. I'd suggest initially tightening them until they have no free play. After every ride, check them and adjust as required until their free play stops changing. Then adjust them for a minimum of free play.

Back