Fuse box repairs

kshansen

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
This is a little OT as it was originally asked by me on XS650 not XS400, but the results would be the same.

I was looking for some ideas on repairing the fuse box on a 1982 XS650. It had the "normal" failure of the clips that hold the four fuses in place, where the clips get brittle and break. I know that Mikes sells a new fuse box but being a cheapskate could not bring my self to pay $30.00 plus shipping when actually all I really needed was eight little metal clips.

Sure I could buy a complete new aftermarket fuse box that takes the blade type fuses but was not sure if the added height might be a problem under the seat.

Well sure enough one of the members over there who goes by aldo 5468 had the solution I liked. He had found that Radio Shack sells a four gang fuse block that has clips in it that are very close to those Yamaha used. Now some people have just installed the fuse block as is from Radio Shack but I decided to do like aldo did and remove the clips from the new fuse block and install them in the Yamaha fuse block. Just needed to snip the wires off the failed clips and then solder the wires to the new clips.

One note is the new clips are a loose fit in the plastic housing of the Yamaha fuse box at first but when fuses and installed they fit nice and tight.

I did not get a picture of my repair but here is the one aldo posted:
RadioShack fuse box fix.jpg

One more note this fuse block is currently on sale for $2.60

Link to Radio Shack fuse block:
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-chassis-type-4-position-fuse-block

My fuse box needing revamping as well. For those who live in Canada, Princess Auto has a perfect replacement. Same size. I just added new female connectors, fuses and boom!

Attachments

• IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Yep blades for me too but 6 way with LED indicators cause maybe I will put a usb charger on my bike.

Back