Gear Selector Drum Damage?

IanW

IanW
Reaction score
I am starting a rebuild on a motor with about 30K kms. I noticed that the gear selector drum shows some discoloration at one end. It looks consistent with overheating, which is odd because this drum does not rotate much. There is a small amount of end-play in the assembly which I assume is normal.

Any ideas how this discoloration could have happened and if it is important?

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMG_20160131_140505.jpg
    IMG_20160131_140505.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 355
I am starting a rebuild on a motor with about 30K kms. I noticed that the gear selector drum shows some discoloration at one end. It looks consistent with overheating, which is odd because this drum does not rotate much. There is a small amount of end-play in the assembly which I assume is normal.

Any ideas how this discoloration could have happened and if it is important?

Posted via Mobile

I think you would be fine with that.
I had some blueing on a Gilera fork gear selector and the consensus was no issues (and there wasn't)

They all look like that. It's from heat when that part of it was made.

Thinking more about this, if this happens to all the drums than maybe it is a product of the original tempering of the drum along the selector area to increase hardness. This would leave the end more ductile so it has has little axial give when shifting. Of course I maybe completely over thinking this...

Posted via Mobile

Back