1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Grab Rail

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dozier0352, May 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dozier0352

Dozier0352 XS400 New Member

I'm new to the motorcycle world and recently acquired a 1979 XS400. It needed carb work and some other odds and ends that I am still tying up, but one thing that I recently realized is the lack of a grab rail. I've been browsing around trying to find one that looks like what I'm trying to find, but have yet to find one that looks like the one in the manual, or that would fit where is should on the bike. I'll post some pictures tonight, but if anybody has some idea's on where to look, I would be grateful.

On a side note, the main reason I need a grab rail is to have somewhere to attach the tail lights since I am unable to find a full rear fender. The only fenders I have found are long enough for the licence plate, and the brake light.

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

78-E and 79-F/2-F xs400 will work. Ebay has a bunch of them. Post a pic of your bike so we can confirm what you have.

3. Dozier0352

It's a 79-F. The main concern I have about the other models, is the only clue I have as to what it looks like is that diagram in the manual I've got.

Attached Files:

4. xschris

I don't think the stock one will work with that seat as it's not stock. My guess is that your frame has also been modified to use your style seat. This is the stock seat and rail that fits your bike if it was stock.

Attached Files:

5. Dozier0352

It looks like the frame was just chopped to accommodate the seat. I had planned on welding/fitting the grab rail in some form to the frame in order to put a stock seat on the bike.

6. xschris

A custom job is about all you can do if it has been cut.