Greetings from Calgary!

citrusss

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello there, guys!

c8784b894167.jpg

So, I got my xs400 as a first bike to learn on, it's '82 Heritage Special. Decent milage, just under 30000 kms. Already changed a handlebar to one that fits me better. I always knew I like standards more than cruisers or sports.

Here are few questions to you:

It had broken tach cable, I ordered brand new, after-market, but engine connector doesn't fit. Which and where to get the right one?

Carburators run the engine somewhat lean, it overheats really fast, gas milage 47 mpg, quite high, in my opinion for 400cc. I'm really bad with carbs, couldn't even set it on my RC car, so is there any chance to adjust it a bit without all that complications? Just want to make it a bit reacher and see what will happen.

Can't wait for winter to start chopping "unnecessary" pieces from her. I wasn't really much into it before I saw some amazing projects here. But I want to make it as cheap as possible.

So here are questions related to soft-tail bobber project.

Stock rear fender seems to fit well right on the wheel. Is that possible? Really don't want to buy a new one, since it will require plenty of work, such as wielding which I can't do in my place. Moreover, it has all holes for lights and mounts.

Instead of braking light I want to use run-brake-turn signals and side-mounted plate. Will this kit fit Yamaha wiring?

And the last one so far, the seat. Le Pera small solo looks good. Is it comfy?

Many thanks for answers! :D

More questions to come :)

Welcome to the forum - nice bike!

How do you know it is overheating? Have you done a plug read after a good run? I average 55 (U.S.gal) mpg on my bike with good bit of hills mixed in with cruising 40-50 mph.

If you haven't already done so, spend some time reading through the threads here about carbs. You will learn a good bit that should get you started.

welcome aboard:thumbsup: bike looks nice and clean, tear into the carbs and turn up the idle screw to 3-3.5 turns and let'er rip

No . . it's winter all the time here in Yellowknife . . . Calgary get's winter in the middle of summer, and summer in the middle of winter. . . real weird? . . and welcome to the forum citruss.

Welcome to the forum - nice bike!

How do you know it is overheating? Have you done a plug read after a good run? I average 55 (U.S.gal) mpg on my bike with good bit of hills mixed in with cruising 40-50 mph.

If you haven't already done so, spend some time reading through the threads here about carbs. You will learn a good bit that should get you started.

Well, after a while it hard to start from the lights, seems like it loses all the power on the lower revs.

Probably, it was dirt on the engine, washed it yesterday and today it didn't bother me.

today, I got 42 mpg on a highway, still quite much, my car has this on a highway.

I decided, since it's okay for now, I leave it this way to the end of the season and let some shop to fix it later. I will need to do this anyway with new pipes.

Yeah but you live in Calgary so isn't it winter all the time?

4-5 riding months good enough :bike:

No . . it's winter all the time here in Yellowknife . . . Calgary get's winter in the middle of summer, and summer in the middle of winter. . . real weird?

so true :D

Thanks for the welcome!

Just thought you guys should know i am VERY jealous of where you guys live!! I have always wanted to make it up that way sometime it just makes for a long drive when you dont fly :D

Hey fellow Canadian. Welcome.

If you need parts there is a great Canadian supplier called Sirius Consolidated. I usually just email Chris and he sends me the links to the right parts on his website.

Don't be too scared of the carbs. They problably need a good cleaning, and you could rejet a little bit if you want. If nothing else clean them and adjust the mixture screw, and maybe order the orings for the mixture screws, the plugs for the pilots, and new float needles. The carbs are very simple, just take one apart at a time and you'll figure it out.

Make sure you don't get imperial gallons and US gallons mixed up. When you do the calculations it will come out with a lower MPG than it really is.

Also NEVER wish for winter to come. Our summer just started here.:doh: It's been a crazy year for weather.

Come on ...try to fix the carbs yourself. That's half the fun on bikes like this. Youll be glad you did.:D

Back