Help Adjusting Clutch Cable?!?!?

peebuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soooo i got my xs400e running thanks for the help by the way had some good tips from you all you guys.

Now I want to tighten up the clutch cable from the adjusment on the left case cover. I cant seem to get the nut or the screw to budge, the Haneys book says to loosen the nut then use the screw as the adjustment, BUUUUT..... that shit is not moving. I dont want to wrench on it to hard and brake it. :banghead:

Has any one done this befor???

....everyone.

It takes a lot of muscle to break that lock nut loose sometimes. Just put a deep 10mm socket on it and a cheater if necessary and apply steady, increasing pressure. Mine sounded like a .22 round going off when it broke loose.

Mine wasn't that tight Houghmade,but it will sink in.Dont let that worry you its normal.It will come loose.When you get the nut loose turn it clockwise.

Houghmade

SO i have the cable off the adjuster do you keep it attached or disconnected?
and its not a revers thread correct?

The one on the side of the engine (left) is under the black cover, it needs to be put together, as you follow the directions,
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10687
Post 33, and 50 were by me. I had found the directions and posted them there. Perhaps I will create a mini How-2, for this. It only has 3 steps. Post 50 has Pics.

I know you have only posted up to 13 times, but we know the answers are out here. If you have a hard time with google, or what not, just ask. I know we have started a thread to find the questions your looking for, You know you have been doing this tooo long when it seems like just a month ago I had answered that question.

Adjusting the handle bars I was more afraid of striping the threads. the nut, Nope It was okay. Good luck

I'm repairing and refurbishing a neglected ES400 that WAS driveable until I recently changed the clutch cable and despite adjusting the pull lever and the clutch cover adjustments to their maximum tension , if I shift into gear (motor off) and depress the clutch lever I still can't turn the rear wheel. Is the clutch locked up ?

The XS400 has 2 bearings, one on the diagram, and one not listed. Could one of the bearing fallen out, and now you cant squeeze enough to make a attempt to actuater the clutch

If you take apart the clutch side, and pull off the T-pusher, you will find a bearing there, and then in the clutch actuator, is another. that one is not on the parts break down. So if you go to your favorite OEM dealer, and look at the parts diagram.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/CLUTCH/parts.html
part 14. The other one, would be between parts 23, and 13. to Yamaha, its just assume its a replaceable with the unit. maybe its a part of part 16.
CLUTCH.png

If you take apart the clutch side, and pull off the T-pusher, you will find a bearing there, and then in the clutch actuator, is another. that one is not on the parts break down. So if you go to your favorite OEM dealer, and look at the parts diagram.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS400SH/CLUTCH/parts.html
part 14. The other one, would be between parts 23, and 13. to Yamaha, its just assume its a replaceable with the unit. maybe its a part of part 16.
CLUTCH.png

I think I finally got it together and adjusted correctly. I can move the rear wheel while its in gear with the clutch depressed , now I suddenly am having trouble starting :banghead: , thanks for your help !

I charged the battery and it started right up ! I took it for a spin and it shifts perfectly ! I was even able to shift into neutral with the engine running.

So were you missing that bearing? or it just wasn't put back in right the first time. (Wont be the first time I had to redo something just cause I messed up something.)

No , I wasn't missing anything . I was over adjusting the clutch thinking that the rear wheel would be free spinning when I depress the clutch lever like it is in neutral. When I reassembled everything for the third time I realised that I COULD spin the rear wheel with a little effort and that the clutch WAS working properly. Thanks for your help though :thumbsup: and this forum ROCKS !

When I read this forum this morning, I totally missed the part about the adjuster being under the black rubber cap on the sprocket cover. I pulled the whole cover assembly off before I figured out what I really had to do. Once I extracted my head from my a$$ this was one of the easiest jobs ever.
Thanks to all for the accurate advice (once I read it right).

Soooo...where would one buy new ball bearings if one is missing? My bike is at my cousins shop an hour away and I remember having issues adjusting the clutch because it seems like too much slack. Also the sprocket side cover was off when I bought it, i saw one bearing in the adjuster portion, didn’t think to check the engine side of it.

So now I’m wondering. Will be up there later today.

Soooo...where would one buy new ball bearings if one is missing? My bike is at my cousins shop an hour away and I remember having issues adjusting the clutch because it seems like too much slack. Also the sprocket side cover was off when I bought it, i saw one bearing in the adjuster portion, didn’t think to check the engine side of it.

So now I’m wondering. Will be up there later today.

Im not sure where you would buy one locally. Ypu can get a bag of then off ebay for relatively cheap. But I know that doesnt help you today. Try a 5/16 inch bearing. At least thats what I read in the forums when I was reading about the clutch cover. Here is the thread I found:

http://www.xs400.com/threads/clutch-push-rod-bearing-question.11658/#post-120502

If you can start the bike and get the oil warm it really helps to make sure the adjustment is right. Otherwise it felt like a total guess with cold oil.

Keep in mind that these bikes are old, and therefore are not precise at all. My bike shifts and clutches like a dirt bike. The clutch grabs at the top of the lever and doesnt slip at all. I actually keep my lever a bit loose. The lever has some swing before it pulls the cable. Half the time I dont even use the clutch to shift..

The bearing balls (the technical name) for the clutch pushrod can still be bought new at Partzilla. You should also get a new pushrod seal because its known for leaking and tearing.

Back