Help what does this mean???

Ordering parts were lest expensive from there, now that I have discovered https://www.powersportsplus.com is even more inexpensive. the same 3 items were 27 at boats.net, were 22 at Powersportsplus, and they are connected as a sisters stores. Locally my store wanted 8.something, and it was 6 something at Boats. Local store gives me Military discount. :thumbsup: So I am just trying to save a dime or two. Shipping was 1.75 So it does begin to wash out eventually.:wink2:

1979, did I add oil, and seal it up, Not yet, I have been waiting. I didnt' like the way the CirClip was stretched out, So I waited for someone who has better experience than I. I concur with PsudoMonkey, I am going to button it up with out the Shim, and maybe forget the Shim all together. Clearly there is no room for a shim. and the term shim seem to just a filler material. Even if I had the .3 milimeter shim, I dont think that would fit. I sure don't see why Yamaha felt they could supercede. unless they didnt have the right size at the warehouse, so they just had to do something to get me. So I am rambling again. Till next ramble I anticipate tomorrow, I am going to button it up, and validate the 2 other issues I have. Thanks again

:thumbsup:Yesterday, the 17th of July. I did add oil, and infront of my wife, I turned it on, and pushed the starter button, and it started up, right up. No extra anything. then :banghead: I started changing the sync screw prior to closing the chock.:wtf: Then while doing that, I burned my shin on the muffler. so this week I can prove to my co-workers, that my bike is work :laugh: ouch! I will talk about todays results in other posts for today, I am going to try to answer my questions, now that I feel that I have successfully got my bike running!

I pulled my clutch apart and noticed that there was no shim in place. At first I thought someone put it back together without the part, but after reading your post I am not so sure. The wear mark of the circlip makes me think that there never was a shim.

How did things turn out for you without a shim?

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_174053_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20140712_174053_hdr.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 277
There should be a washer there and one on the other side of the basket also. There is pics of the assembly in the manual.

Post 14 has it all, with the state bird. I tried to be picky when I put it together. It seems to me that large o-ring, is called a shim. as such, it may be considered optional. Like the image in post 14, with the shim in place, the shim didn't allow the Circlip to sit right in the groove. So I obviously went without the o-ring shim. Ian what year is your bike? I did put the recommended images from on-line sources to help prove I am doing my home work, Since then my bike worked great till my valve job failed. (last year)
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87069&postcount=14

I have an '82. Based on this info I suspect the shim is there to take the axial lash out of the assembly, only if required. I will reassemble and test for any play along the shaft.

Thanks for your response and post. This was very helpful.

Posted via Mobile

Out of the five motors I have had the clutch's apart on only one had a "shim" behind the c-clip. So they are not always needed.

Last edited:
Back