How street legal should I be?

bentwrench

DOHC Crazy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Street legal is a tough one to define if you're not a cop around here. For instance, I'm thinking of doing away with my signals. It's legal here to signal with hand signals, so I think that's legal.

I'm thinking of not running fenders. I think that's legal, as long as I don't sell the bike like that.

I'm thinking of not running mirrors. Street legal? Maybe.

I'm thinking of not running a speedo and tach. Probably not street legal, but if i never speed, then that's okay...?

I dunno. How street legal should I be if I tend to drive within the law? How much research should I do, if that's just the way I like the bike?

Call the police station and ask where you can find the laws in your area. That being said, I don't recommend any of those modifications even if they are legal.

The lack of a front fender is probably fine if you wear a full face helmet.

I use every tool at my disposal in order to be the best, safest rider I can. This means wearing as much gear as I can and using tools like mirrors and turn signals that people can actually see. Perhaps I take this all very seriously, but I'd like to live a very long time.

If you're just looking for opinions that's mine. I'm certainly in the minority when it comes to this stuff.

I'm sure you've already decided the route you're going to take.

I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I can imagine it could take the fun out of riding if your always worried and looking over your shoulder wondering if your going to get pulled over.

I personally don't run signals, gauges, mirrors and I have open exhaust. It helps mine is registered as an antique and I don't ride it often. I never get messed with by the fuzz but I'm really only at fault for the mirrors if for some reason I did get pulled over, so not a huge deal.

"How street legal should I be?"

- legal enough to stay out of jail.:D

Posted via Mobile

Yeah, I get safety. It's not like I'm going to run without a tail light. And I'm a cyclist too, so I take a ton of risks compared to the motorcycle when I go out (especially in an SUV obsessed city like mine.)

Interestingly, I've confirmed it's not illegal to ride without a speedo, as long as you don't speed.

Most of the information you require is in Schedule 6 of the MTO Highway Traffic Act regarding requirements for a Safety Standards Certificate. I believe that the rule of thumb in Ontario is that anything that was on a vehicle when it left the fatory has to be on it and operating properly.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm#BK13

I have added some excerpts from it to your original post. As you are probably aware, the Ontario Safety Standards Certificate really only normally comes into play when you are putting a vehicle on the road after purchasing it but if your vehicle will not pass the inspection at any time it is on the road it is technically not legal. The odds of you getting stopped and sent for an inspection are small but of course increase in proportion to how obvious it is that you are not "Legal". One other thing to consider is that if your insurance company finds out they will likely drop you or worse yet, if you have any kind of an accident they just might wash their hands of you right then and there.

I get what you say about safety but still the main thing I would worry about in the GTA is that removing things like lights and mirrors also proportionately increases the odds of you getting smacked by that idiot in an SUV that is running late to get to the GO train.

Street legal is a tough one to define if you're not a cop around here. For instance, I'm thinking of doing away with my signals. It's legal here to signal with hand signals, so I think that's legal.
(e) the turn signal lamps and the flasher unit shall operate properly;

I'm thinking of not running fenders. I think that's legal, as long as I don't sell the bike like that.
1. (1) The motorcycle shall have,
(a) where they were originally installed, securely mounted fenders, mudguards and operative footrests;

I'm thinking of not running mirrors. Street legal? Maybe.
(9) The motorcycle shall be fitted with the number of mirrors prescribed and,

(a) each mirror shall be securely mounted and maintain a set adjustment; and

I'm thinking of not running a speedo and tach. Probably not street legal, but if i never speed, then that's okay...?
(3) The speedometer and odometer shall be tested by driving the vehicle and both shall be in good working order.

I dunno. How street legal should I be if I tend to drive within the law? How much research should I do, if that's just the way I like the bike?

By law if you dont use single lights you need to use hand singles...

dont need them here in new Brunswick

not sure about rest

As you are probably aware, the Ontario Safety Standards Certificate really only normally comes into play when you are putting a vehicle on the road after purchasing it but if your vehicle will not pass the inspection at any time it is on the road it is technically not legal.

I know the standards cert side really well, as I bought this bike uncerted and then got it running and plated. I didn't know I could be sent back for inspection later.

Ah well... I suppose that maybe iteration 3 or 4 will make it street legal. It's all a moot point for now, as I'm waiting on a replacement throttle cable. I believe it's legal to run without a throttle cable, but it sure ain't fast... :wink2:

We have had a rash of fatal accidents here in Portland (three of which were 70+ year old drivers turning left in front of riders in minivans or SUVs) so i am a big fan of things like signals and lights and mirrors. Anything that makes you visible to grandma or lets you see her coming. i don't like the look of the stock lights so i got smaller aftermarket ones that are actually brighter and more visible when they are on.
Just know that depending on the LEO, a small ticket for a minor infraction can get really spendy if you have a handful of vehicle code violations

OOH!! BC vs BW! Yay!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

If I actually argued with everyone that didn't abide by my own personal safety standards I probably would not have anyone to ride with. Here in NH nobody wears anything; the only required piece of gear is some kind of eye protection.

Even though we have a yearly inspection many people run no mirrors and illegal turn signals that aren't dot approved. Cops don't generally pull you over for these kinds of mods, but they will tack the violations onto a speeding ticket if you get popped for that.

Before this overhall of my bike i ran minimum hi low beam, brake tail ,left mirror. When done ill have those plus right mirror and 2 fenders. Virginia says you dont need speedo but they will write you a ticket for speeding.

Be a true Canadian, just drop yer gloves, pull his sweater over his head, and go at it, EH! :D:D

Yeah, to be fair, Canadians to fight (and fight well) but only over things that matter. Like Hitler (RCAF Lancaster Bomber Crews FTW,) Korea (Sabre air support), Afghanistan (Kandahar Province) and, um, Hockey.

You can always bob your fender and/or paint it black. There also might be a bar-end mirror that you like. I don't like mirrors that mount to unfaired bikes on the bar controls; they usually look bad in my opinion.

Back