How to find used parts for 1980 xs400g?

03cranec

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum here. I recently bought a 1980 xs400g and the stator and the starter motor are both shot. Also, when I took off the stator cover (the inner larger one, not little outer circular one), the gasket broke and now it's leaking oil.

Can anyone help me identify which parts will fit this model? My local mechanic told me the following. Can anyone confirm? Is there somewhere reliable to look these things up?

Need an stator for:
1980 xs400g sg
1981 xs400h sh
1982 xs400sj

Need a gasket for:
any xs400 (1977-1982)
xs360 c, d, 2d (76 and 77)

Need a starter:
any xs400 (1977-1982)
xs360 c, d (76 and 77)

Also, any help in where I might be able to find these parts for sale would be great. I see a bunch of stators and starters on ebay, but I'm at a loss for the gasket. And I'm wary of ordering a used part on ebay and having it show up and not work. The mechanic also suggested he could repair the stater motor for $200, but I'm hoping I can find a working one for less. Is that wishful thinking?

Many thanks,
Chris

Starters are often taken off by people building custom bikes when they want to switch to kick only. You may find them in the classifieds here, or if you place a wanted ad you'll find these people :)

The gasket might have been scanned in by one of the forum members, google search that on the forum (top left). Either way you could use the old one to make yourself a new one from a sheet of gasket material.

The stator I don't know. But if you're looking for part numbers there's a few lists in the sticky on the top of the garage section with parts lists, as well as manuals for our bikes. Also check out this thread for some more general info since you're new to the xs.

Good parts sources for xs400's are Partzilla, Ebay, Mikesxs.net, boats.net (small parts and bearings) to name a few.

Good luck :thumbsup: and welcome to xs400.com! we love to see pics of the new bike ;)

Hey everyone - thanks for the responses. I ended up ordering the parts I need on ebay. The stator and starter are from a 400sg, and claim to be tested and guaranteed. Fingers crossed they fit and work.

I may be back here with more questions when I try to install. The starter I know how to do, but the stator may be tricker. Does anyone know if there is a guide for that somewhere? The manual I have only describes how to test the alternator parts with a multimeter, not how to actually replace them.

Willem, that thread you linked to is awesome! Can't wait to dive into some of that work once I get this thing starting and charging properly.

Photo attached. Lot of custom work done on it and parts chopped off. Kind of a brat/bobber style. I believe it's a harley gas tank on there.

Attachments

• FC9169F5-7BBC-4333-9960-74FF1D94BAF4.jpg
    FC9169F5-7BBC-4333-9960-74FF1D94BAF4.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 387
I think what you are looking for is the gasket for the left hand side crankcase, i just scanned in one last week or so. You can print it and trace it on some gasket paper and it should work..

That gasket is something available from your local Yamaha dealer though, its where i got mine.

I typically just go to Boats.net and look up Yamaha motorcycles and the year of my bike and it takes you to the full illustrated parts catalog and from there i just find what i need and the parts number and if it doesn't say 'obsolete' next to it then its a part that can be ordered from any yamaha dealer, or other shop who does that kinda stuff.

If it does say obsolete next to the price, as many do, then i usually check ebay. You can still use the boats.net site by clicking the parts number and the site will list all of the other model years that part fits on, which really helps. Hitting up ebay for a part you might not find the exact year, but you might find a different year and it might be compatible with yours, so that list is really helpful.

Back