how to trip the magnetic? loop for traffic lights

lugnuttz

XS400 Member
Reaction score
ok i live in upstate ny where some intersections use some type of a metal loop in the pavement to sense when a vehicle is present so it can change the traffic light..theres one small problem tho when it is late and there are no other cars around MY XS wont trip it so i am left with the option of making an illegal left on red or a right on red and finding somewhere to pull a turn around which is a hassle...sooo whats the trick...i have tried stopping directly on the metal strip in the center of the loop nothing seems to work ... i read somewhere that you can get some sort of a magnet or something to trip it but i dont know if there is a specific type to use or where to get it ...

any help is appreciated

eric enlighten me on the specifics where in relation to the loop have you done this and what would you say the success rate is for this method

Um...I usually try to pull the wheels directly over the cuts in the road...Success? Hard to say may 25-35% of the time it seems to work...

Hiya lugnuttz

Here in OK we just had a law passed allowing motorcycles to proceed through a light that is "malfunctioning" or the sensor loop is not picking up the motorcycle:D

Tulsa - A new law goes into effect November first that would allow motorcyclists to drive through a red light.

Senate Bill 1329 was signed into law earlier this year. It states "the driver of a motorcycle or bicycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection..."

The bill targets weight-sensored intersections where often times, motorcyclists don't trigger the sensor, causing the cyclist to sit at a red light for long periods of time.

The law requires the cyclist to come to a complete stop before proceeding. There are other stipulations in the law as well

I searched under New York - but no luck on any such thing - but I'd ask your local PD:shrug:. I use to lay my bike over at an angle to set off some signals - worked about 50/50...

Most of the newer ones work off of a magnetic trigger,the old ones were weight activated. A bike doesn't have enough steel to trigger the magnets.That's why at times the kickstand will trigger the switch....lha

My course instructors told me that the intersections having these problems should be reported. They are usually just not calibrated very often. Apparently this is taken seriously and will usually get fixed if someone complains.

Back