I just got an XS 360!

XSstudent

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just became the proud owner of a '76 xs 360 and that makes me happy. I think. I had no idea Yamaha even made such a bike until the brother of a friend had to move and gave me this bike. Since the gift I have become an XS student and have come to realize that not only did Yamaha make them but there is a whole culture and society of high thinking individuals surrounding these bikes. This means that if I can figure out what to do with my potentially ambulatory pile of part I could be a member of this society! Wuhoo! I have been obsessing over this bike a little bit. Pretty excited:)
This is how it came to me. image.jpg
A lot of work has been done on it and it seems like all the major parts are present. My friend said the engine ran when the bike was made into smaller pieces. I trust him. I think:shrug:
image.jpg
Beautiful isn't she?
I haven't completly decided what to do with it yet, but I thought I would introduce myself and the project a little and go from there.
Student

Posted via Mobile

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. There are a few xs360 guys on here that can help you for sure. Download the manual and start reading. :)

image.jpg
A combination of this one and the last one. I like the trim of the first one but probably prefer the rustic finish of the second. The guys who built both of these bike did a great job:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Welcome to the forum!

The carbs might look intimidating all in pieces like that but they're pretty straightforward. Take advantage of the fact that they're apart to clean them really well. Make sure if you're boiling them or soaking them in some kind of solution that all rubber parts have been removed, including the seals on the butterfly valve shafts. You'll probably want to replace the rubber boots that hold the carbs to the head, too, they look pretty worn out.

Welcome to the forum!

The carbs might look intimidating all in pieces like that but they're pretty straightforward. Take advantage of the fact that they're apart to clean them really well. Make sure if you're boiling them or soaking them in some kind of solution that all rubber parts have been removed, including the seals on the butterfly valve shafts. You'll probably want to replace the rubber boots that hold the carbs to the head, too, they look pretty worn out.

Thank you for taking the time to teach. I'll do it.

Posted via Mobile

Another xs360 in Lawrence? I thought i bought the only one around :laugh:

Howdy neighbor :wink2:

Hey there neighbor! You own a 360 also? Great weather for riding today:thumbsdown:

Posted via Mobile

Never mind. I answered my own question by stalking you... Very nice bike! Hope you can figure out the carb thing before we have nice riding weather again.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've worked on the bike, but revisited it yesterday with a compression test. Right-130psi. Left-110psi. I did some reading on here and it sounds like I should adjust the valves then see if the compression changes. Is that the best course of action?
Missing parts so far: air filters(must have had pods?), dust guard/spacer on rear axle. I found a used rear axle including said spacer on eBay, but was curious whether I can get just the individual spacer somewhere?
Have decided to try and get the bike running without many mods and ride it for a season before I decide what to do with it. A little scared of putting a lot of money or time into it until I get the title, which the PO is supposed to be looking for (lost in move).

Posted via Mobile

It's been awhile since I've worked on the bike, but revisited it yesterday with a compression test. Right-130psi. Left-110psi. I did some reading on here and it sounds like I should adjust the valves then see if the compression changes. Is that the best course of action?
Missing parts so far: air filters(must have had pods?), dust guard/spacer on rear axle. I found a used rear axle including said spacer on eBay, but was curious whether I can get just the individual spacer somewhere?
Have decided to try and get the bike running without many mods and ride it for a season before I decide what to do with it. A little scared of putting a lot of money or time into it until I get the title, which the PO is supposed to be looking for (lost in move).

Posted via Mobile

even 130 is a little low, but don't fret too much as if the engine has been standing, the valves tend to stick.
I'd just lap the valves in with fine grit.

while your at it check the bores for glazing (shiny) what you want is a cross hatch marks in the bore.

Don't put another minute or dime into the bike until you get a title:wink2: Without one it's just a pile of parts.

even 130 is a little low, but don't fret too much as if the engine has been standing, the valves tend to stick.
I'd just lap the valves in with fine grit.

while your at it check the bores for glazing (shiny) what you want is a cross hatch marks in the bore.

Ok. Not sure what lapping is, but I'll find out and do it. I do understand the glazing/cross hatch marks. Is there a way to check that without taking the top end off the engine? I don't savvy engines so good. Can do fabrication stuff but engines scare me. I've decided it's time to learn though...:yikes:

Posted via Mobile

Back