I learned LED conversion from this site. Thank You.

PlayBackPat

First XS Restore
Reaction score
New member, first post. Been restoring other bikes for years but just started my first XS400 a few months ago. I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for all the great information on this site. I estimate that the info here has saved me at least $500 in labor on this project. The most recent trick was the LED turn signal conversion which was a bit of a struggle for me as there is a lot of different info on this subject as I am sure you are all very aware. I would like to share my personal experience in condensed form in hopes that it will help someone else down the line.

Stock flashers worked just fine before starting.
Replaced all 4 stock flashers with LED, each unit has 13 mini bulbs
With the stock flasher relay still installed all four flashers were continuously on.
Installed the Tridon EP34 relay to recommended spec but got absolutely no results.
Exchanged for Tridon EP36 (same install spec). I got hazard lights. All four flashing.
Removed the turn indicator bulb from the instrument cluster and success!!!
Flashing, accurate turn indication.
Small bonus is with a tiny bit of wiggling I was able to mount the EP36 directly onto the stock mounting tab.

Of course not mentioned in these steps is all the times (at least a dozen) I got onto XS400.com to troubleshoot my problems. Huge thanks again to all the users posts that helped me through this process.
P:bike:

There are certainly posts regarding the fix for the turn signal indicator fix. I think I may have even posted once or twice on the subject, and I don't even have an SOHC bike!

Not a hard fix. Where the two wires that come to the indicator bulb, cut them an inch or so from the bulb socket. These two wires are power from each side. You hook a diode to each of these wires. A diode only lets power flow one way. There is a band around the diode that is closer to one end, I can't recall is this is the anode or cathode end. But hook this end to the wires coming out of the harness. hook the other end of the diodes together, hook this to one of the wires from the bulb. Hook the other wire from the bulb to ground. Now test for function. If right solder and heat shrink the connections. If no flash reverse the diodes.
Leo

Back