I need new tires and brake shoes/pads :-)

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So,

While on a nice, long motorcycle vacation, the tires a local shop sold me (for $150) melted into the pavement. Lesson learned.

Now, I'm readying up to purchase a new set of much higher quality. I've not done any searching yet but thought I'd ask the forumsters for there perspective.

From all of the gibberish my more experienced guru buddies were saying, my bike ('82 XS400R) takes a 110/90/18. Those measurements were explained to me on some level but I haven't totally grasped it yet.

I would like to get the ABSOLUTE WIDEST tire profile that I can for this bike, NOT because I want to attain the profile of a modern sport bike but because I know that my tire width options are extremely limited and will, essentially, be fairly skinny no matter what.

So yes, I want to know: what is the absolute widest tire measurement that I can fit on my bike?

Not that I need to explain but, by wide, I mean if you're looking at the bike from the back, the horizontal width of the tire. (I know ... duh).

Nextly ...

My rear brakes do almost nothing. I'm pretty sure they're dead and gone. I was warned a while back about this and also that my front discs were at maybe 50%. I'd like to replace both. What's a good source? Googling.

Be careful with throwing a wider tire on than OEM spec. The tire will 'bubble' up and become taller than stock, altering the geometry of the bike if only done on the front or rear. Also, significantly more flex in the sidewall typically impairs handling. It may or may not be a big issue on this bike, as most of this info is taken from the trend for throwing a 190 tire on sportbikes designed for 180's.

As for brake pads/shoes, check out Mikesxs for parts.

Alright then, I'm looking for (I think) 120/90-18, which is what is currently on there. Thanks for the tip on the brakes!

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure what my tire dimensions SHOULD be. I only know what's on there now, which may or may not be correct. I can't find anything in the manuals.

Anyone know off hand?

Last edited:
Ok so dimensions break down like so:
Example- 100/80-17
The 100 means- The first number is equal to 100mm wide from farthest edge left and right, But be aware as you'll see lower profiled tires the 100mm is really flat where as narrow tires the 100mm is essentially from the sidewall lip to the opposing sidewall lip. So that is the first number in a nutshell..The tire width:)
Now the 80 is based on the percentage of the width of the tire but is in fact the the tire height from its highest point on the tread(center when pumped up) to the edge of the rim when mounted..So in this case a 100/80 is saying the tire is 100mm wide with a 80mm height...because 80% of 100 is 80mm.. So doing the math on all metric tires is relative..
Lastly..as Im positive you know, the 17 in this case represents the rim diameter :)
I would say that you just measure your narrowest point in the path of travel of your rear tire and substract 10mm's and you'll be good to go, but be sure your finished tire height is where your measuring your narrowest widht;)
Hope this helps

Ok your bike came with a 3.00-18 on the front. In metric speak that's a 90/90-18.
The rear was a 4.10-18, that's a 110/90-18. I think the 120 may fit depending on brand and tire model.
Not all tires are exactly the same as they are marked. Some brands or models are not the same as others.
Look at the tire you have now, measure the distance from the widest part of the tire to the swing arm on both sides. The chain and chain guard too. If less than 1/4 inch I doubt you will fit a wider tire.
I think you will have no problems running the stock size tires.
As far as brand the Bridgestone Spitfire II is a good tire, the Pirelli MT66 seemslike a good tire. I have both one my bikes. I have heard good things aboutsome of the Shinko's, I liked the Kenda's I had. I didn't like the Dunlop D404's.
Others will give there ideas on good tires too.
Leo

Back