Igintion problem

thanks midnightwarrior,I can read that,Its amazing what a little color can do:)I hopefully I can get this figured today.Its supposed be 65* today and im tired of watching everyone else ride their bikes while Im stuck with an electrical gremlin.

I've just been cramming a screwdriver in there to get it cranking; dunno if that's actually good for it because it sparks a bit and the relays start clicking like crazy, but it does turn over.

Thanks Esmith I`ll see what I can find there,Im also going to look around at the local hardware stores and see what I can there.

Levdir I have been doing that also and it will turn over but I agree I don't think its avery good thing to do,Im afraid it could end up burning the solenoid up.Can anyone confirm this?
As a side note I haven't worked on the bike today been working on my Jimmy and had yard work to do.So Im kind pooped out right now.I`ll try again tomorrow or maybe later this evening.

Im going to get the aluminum button just peace of mind,I know the lip that holds it in place wont ever break.Esmith do you know if eith button plastic or aluminum is the same price on that site?

Darkmidnightwarrior on the kill/run switch it shows on the diagram those wires run into a plug in connection am I correct,then it goes to the fueses?I have no power on handle bar switch,dead no contenuety no light on with the test light.So Im starting to think my problem is originating somewhere at the plugin if Im correct that's what the box looking thing is on the diagram?
I have power to the horn switch and horn is working so everything on the other side is ok.
I also check the ground wire on the side of the bike frame and its clean and making contact.

Yes that's the connector. I would check out the wires going into and out of that connector. Make sure they look in good condition, use some spray can electronics cleaner on them. Maybe work the two halves together and apart a few times too. Be gentile though as not to break the insides. Check the same on the starter relay, rectifier and the headlight cut out relay and the regulator plugs. Those are all in the starter button and kill switch circuit.

OK thanks I`ll the connections and hopefully report back with some good news.Also if that theres no power to the side then handle bar switches are on will this kleep the bike from running also?

Well no need to buy one I was able to improvise a switch from an old computer speaker,now If I can just remember how this stuff all goes together lol

Attachments

• 100_2769.jpg
    100_2769.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I have MC Giver trate in my mind.Im good like that.Just like those rubber plugs inside the carbs that cover the main jets,mine were wore out and wouldn't stay.since Im diabetic Im provised with the caps off my syringes:thumbsup:When I owned my home and had all my tools there was almost nothing I couldn't fab out of metal with my torch and welder and grinder.I got skills sitting in the recycling bin just waiting to be used.:laugh:thanks to someone elses thread theres some useful info there that may help me out and be my problem.Dont know if im going to get to it today we winds gusting up to 50mph:yikes:.Then tomorrow that blasted 4 letter s word were all sick of dealing with:eek:

where are you up to with the ignition?

the kill switch just completes a live circuit to enable the solenoid to work.

After you work out the starter button ( give to a 10 year old, they'll have it worked out in no time) :)

get a multimeter and ensure you have power reaching the TCI and that no earth leads/connections have been missed off

I need to look inside the head light bucket and check a connector inside there.I got the switch on the handle bars all rewired just need to screw it back on the handle bars.The TCI I had it out yesterday checking the wiring everything has solid connections.When the weather warms back up to tolerable temp I`ll be back at it.Oh and I have a ? about my battery,Its supposed to get down to 20*f should I bring my battery inside?
Edit battery is inside with 2 nights expected to be in the upper teens

Last edited:
It's a good idea to bring bike batteries inside if you can when temps get below freezing.

Last edited:
I don't have one of those available and my battery is no more than a week old.Its in the wiring Im going to check out the junction box in there this afternoon,just waiting for it to warm up.After a a 18* f low this am its still quite chilly in garage till the sun gets up at higher angle.

Back