Igintion problem

Ok took a quick look inside the head light bucket the junction box which goes to the estart and kill switch looks good.I took it apart and put it back together all the terminals are shiny and clean.While I was in there I found a broken turn signal wire to the left blinker.So I got go back and soilder it.I found another wire inside that has a connecter on like a plastic wire splicer.I don't see any other wires that it would connect:shrug:I`ll go back with light and battery in a little while and check for continuety

sounds like it could be a ground issue, so hear me out on this one. I have an 84 maxim, so probably one wired exactly like yours. took the headlight bucket off to paint it, and put everything back together as it was. Went to start it, lights lit up fine, but when i went to push the starter nothing happened :( So, i traced the wires, i believe there are two that come from the switch, and found that one had a bad ground, cause it had corrosion in the socket. It gave me pretty much the same problem you described! Ground happened to be the issue. Try disconnecting and directly grounding the ground wire the a bare spot on the frame to see if you get any luck! :)

Well heres what I did today,all the connectors inside the head light bucket I took apart and shines the male prongs with a wire brush,I took a very small staright screw driver like the kind you would use for tighten up the frame on your eye glasses.scraped around inside the female connections so there was no corrosion inside.I soldered a broken wire to left side blinker.Also inside I have 2 smallish black wires that come together as one that has a plastic wire connector that's not hooked to anything.I looked inside for any other possible wires that will connect to it,notta,nothing no other wires.So Im wondering if the 2 disconnected wires that Im thinking were broken connect to that lead?Soonest I can get a pic would be tomorrow,dont want to sound like a sympathetic cry baby but its all my body would let me do today.Im not very good at wiring or diagnosing wiring problems but this issue has helped me learn a lot about it.:thumbsup:So after taking apart all the wires in the handle bar switch I also reassembled it today.Tomorrow I will also check and do some continuity test on those wires inside the bucket when I can get back to it.

Hey Scorpio, you have electrical problems and I have electrical problems. There must be something in our air. Maybe some gremlin electromotive force. Within days My TCI went out on the XS, then my reg/rec in my Suzuki went bad, and now my multi meter is cooked. Thats it, until this thing passes I'm only going to polish.

Somethings going on I blame it on all the black cats in my neighborhood::yikes:,I was hoping to try out that windshield but the electrical gremlin struck:wtf: so go there goes that idea.
We both have double gremilins,my wiring is messed up on my Jimmy also.:banghead:

Ok I was able to get out this morning and take a few pics.hopefully they will show up.I just need to confirm id these wires connect or not.
The 2 wires that are black go to the left turn signal.What I need to if those 2 wires connect to the connect that has nothing connected to it?:shrug:

Attachments

• 100_2786.jpg
    100_2786.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_2787.jpg
    100_2787.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_2788.jpg
    100_2788.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Darkmidnightwarrior do you know if this diagram is for the 81 xs400
View attachment 3857
Im trying find the info about the relay boxes down in the bottom of the frame.The number of how many the bikes has depends on the year,some have up to 3 some less and may have only 1.I have plug ins for two on my bike they are supposed to keep the bike from starting in gear from what I remember reading.They slip on the fram similar to how the solenoid does with male connector on the box and rubber sleave.When and if the rain quits today I can take a pic if your not sure about what Im talking about.
Oh also in my pics above can any confirm that these wires should be connected together?:shrug:Im trying to look at this problem from all angles.So far everything I have done isn't working.:banghead:

Hello is there anyone out here that has information about these relays I need help with?Does any know how many the 81xs have because I have a plug in for two of them.
They look like relay boxes my bike has 2 plugs but 1 of those boxes.I know some bikes had more up to 3 of them.I just don't remember what models but I have read your writings about them in the past.They connect by a rubber sleave similar to how the solenoid connects to the frame.Its kinds like a male /female connection with rubber being the female and male end is on the little relay box.They are roughly 1 1/2 in size maybe a tad smaller.I think they are to keep the bike from starting in gear?They are down on the bottom by the battery box if you are look towards the carbs.
I can get a pic if that will help?Mean while I just looking at all angles to what is the cause of my electrical problem.I read that if they go bad it will also give the same problems and keep my from turning over and starting.
Also if somebody can look back where I took pics of the wiring in my head light bucket I would appreciate help with wiring in there.Oh I should note that Im not holding up that black box connection its the black wire I need the info on.

The small gold block is a safety relay. The finned thing under it look to be an after market voltage regulator/rectifier. The open 4 hole plug must go to something:confused: Seeing that the bike has already had things changed, it will be hard to tell what is wrong unless everything is tested.

There should be two of those gold safety relays. The other one is a couple of inches to the left of the one pictured. The 4 pin white connector plugs into the relay. I too am a little confused by the last pic. Why is that regulator/rectifier sitting loose on the swingarm. Were you cleaning the connections?

So that's what I thought now how it came up missing IDK been having a lot of problems with theft around here lately so who knows.
Yes I was checking connections its getting remounted on the side of the battery box.

Thanks for the information

Thanks very much that should help much better than the black and white version,I`ll give it a study today.
Just out of curiosity what type of plug in does the tci box have going into it,is it similar to the one I took in one of the picks I posted above?

@ GraysonFlemming did by chance take any pics when you had your head light out?I have been trying to find the ground wire you mention in your thread but I don't know exactly what Im looking for.I don't see any black wires connecting to a grounding source.The only thing I found is a black wire with an inline wire spicer that's not connected to anything.If you look at the pics of my headlight bucket maybe you can help point me to something Im missing.:shrug:

Darn it wish I had a printer so I can print the diagram off so I can take to where my bike is.Its in a storage unit/makeshift garage about a block a away.I`ll take my tablet and see if I can pick up a wifi

Back