Igintion problem

Thanx Chris for your reply,as for the diagrams I study them everyday since my problem began and have traced every wire going to the ignition switch and to both controls on the right and left side of the handle bars.Now a question again about the clutch switch,I followed the wires on the diagram it shows that there is a connection box then the by wire goes to the igniter unit.Is the igniter unit the samething as the black box or is it something else.So back to the question the wires for the clutch switch are still there can I just leave them twisted together or disconnect it from the connector box?Its not a problem to fix the switch its not broke but what is the wiring going to it.Id like to remove out of the piece that connects to the clutch lever.On the other note YES I know with out seeing the bike its hard to diagnose from our desktop.I I know that are season veterans here on our site that probably have the electrical system memorized that should be able to help.You know the ones that have rebuilt their entire harness?Its these people that should be offering their advice and knowledge to try and help but their not,this is why Im disappointed.Just sayin.I put forth my knowledge to try and help out everyone on here that I can with the experience I have learned over the last two years.Maybe someday if someone else has the same problem Im having I`ll be able to make that contribution and help them out.The reason I still have this problem isn't lack of effort on my part because I have used every piece of knowledge by searching this forum for answers and by my own hands electrical testing.Your right a electrical problem is the most difficult to diagnose and fix.I absolutely hate them.Not only do I have this electrical problem on bike which makes no sense whatsoever but I have them on another vehicle as well.Anyways thanx again for your answer:)

The clutch switch acts like a kill switch for the bike. When the lever is pulled in the circuit is broken to the relay it hooks to allowing the power to flow to where it needs to go. If you disconnect the two wires from it, it will act as is the lever is always pulled in letting the bike work. If you are missing the relay, the systems that run through it will fail to work.

I work third shift so sorry it is late when I reply. And yes electrical problems are a PITA! Sometimes a loose connection can cause more issues than a totally cut wire. You look at it and it looks ok but onetime it will work and the next it won't. As for your issues. Yes I think there are more than one. I assumed you had chrome bars. The avatar looks chrome. First..yes the igniter box is the blackbox (TCI). Next I think you have a slight control boxes to bars ground issue.(taken care of). Then your missing relay. What color are the wires going into the back of the plug that is missing the relay? I took a long while the other day looking back and forth at the pic of inside the headlight and the wire diagram. TO ME it looks ok! The only thing I question is....if you are looking at the pic. The turn signal stem on the left slightly looks like it has an extra white wire coming out! It may just be the plastic washer showing on the back side. I will try to help however I can. I feel that is part of why we come here.

Last edited:
Ok let see where do I start guess with the wire inside the head light bucket.the wire with the plastic connector actualy has two wires connected into from the other side which you cant see in the photo.Its always been like that since I bought the bick and hasn't caused any problems.
the wires going into that relay plug are blue,red,black and white..
Im also still somewhat slight confused on the clutch switch wiring,Chris said I can rfemove it from the inside the head light bucket.Looking at the diagram there are two wire by =black and yellow and then a black wire which connect to white junction connector not to far from the switch.Tracing the black and yellow wire from there it goes to the tci unit.the black wire I assume is a ground gets lost in the wiring somewhere?I look more into the diagram and see if I can find out where it goes.AS I mentioned earlier I don't want to remove it I will wire it back up where the wires go into the switch,that is if I can the booger out.I`ll post a pic of that here in a little while.I have to wait till Wednesday before I can go to the boneyard and get another relay.the place has odd hours.Im confused and unsure if the bike ever had one when I boiught it,I don't remember.It would be starnge if it came up missing but knowing where I live it wouldn't surprise me either.Another thing Im thinking about doing which I hope it doesn't come down to this is unwrapping the sheith on the wiring cicuit related to the start switch and looking for a broken wire.Another thing I would like to do is remove the stop/run/stop switch ontop of the estart.All I would like on that control is the estart button.Anyone have any idea on how to go about doing this?

You are not reading the diagram correctly for the clutch switch. It does NOT go to the TCI box but to the relay (black dotted wire). When wires in a diagram cross it don't mean they are connected.

Attachments

• XS400SH wiring diagram.jpg
    XS400SH wiring diagram.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 254
Ok for some reason when I click on the diagram you posted it turns black which I believe is the same one thats already posted earlier in the thread on the 3rd page.From what I can tell the black.wire is a black and yellow that goes from the clutch switch to the safty relay.Theres also a junction like I mentioned earlier is white plug connector.I`ll look and double check that.It isnt realy an issue I just need to rewire the switch.Chris do you have any pics of the wires going into the clutch switch?
Also one thing I notice is that there is a connector on the left side next to the battery box with a green,bron and black wire.Theres no ground coming out of it just empty side of inline wire splicer.This confuses me,I dont think its relivent to any of my problems but Im pretty sure there should be a ground wire connecting somewhere:shrug:.

Last edited:
I don't have a clutch switch on any of my bikes so I can not take a pic for you. As for the connector with a green brown and black wire. The only thing I can think of is the voltage reg. unit. The black wire is the ground. Take a (good) pic so we can see what you are talking about.

I don't have a clutch switch on any of my bikes so I can not take a pic for you. As for the connector with a green brown and black wire. The only thing I can think of is the voltage reg. unit. The black wire is the ground. Take a (good) pic so we can see what you are talking about.

You are correct,I looked at the diagram its goes to the voltage reg.Since its missing the ground wire going into it can I splice into another ground that part of the harness?:shrug:

If the voltage regulators' ground wire is broken off at the unit you will have to replace it. If there still is a piece of wire to solder to on it you can do that.

Question on the mystery missing ground wire to the voltage reg,wouldnt that have cause problems with my battery staying charged or other electrical issues?

this is all realy strange,I dont know if somebody sabatoged my bike over winter but I sure didnt notice any of these peoblems when i put it away for hibernation.
Today I`ll fix the ground wire issue and see what happens.I already have a plan for fixing that.I dont think the missing ground wire is part of 1st issue though,maybe a turn signals or the head light.Thursday or friday Im going to the bone yard,the place is only open 3 days a week:doh:I think sometime later as another project Im going to attempo to make a new harness.

This ? is for xschris,today I found the clutch switch wires where they going into the head light bucket and are connected by a black plastic connector.I unplugged it and removed the wire.Other than replacing my missing relay is this all I have to do?Is it ok to leace the connector open?

Removing it from the harness will eliminate the broken switch issue. As for the other stuff :shrug: that is something you will have to work on.

Yeah Im still working on that,I search today for any broken wires bad connections.Still trying to figure out why the head light stopped working:shrug:I unwrapped a lot of wiring sheathing on my harness but didn't find anything.Also still trying get a hold of a relay safety switch.Im hoping someone here on the site will have them forsale.

Well I havent heard anything back from the member that offered me free relays since he posted.Just wondering since I have heard of people doing it before how can I bypass and elinate them?

Question on the relay switch underneith the seat,its black about a 2 inches long and has 3 prongs on it,what is it for?Just says relay on the wiring diagram.Im thinking its a head light relay but Im not sure.I took it out of its plastic cover and appears to be good no funny burnt smells or anything.

Back