Installing Emgo shorty mufflers

xs400newb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Gonna buy emgo shorty mufflers and attach them to my stock headers. These pipes are dual walled and I know the exhaust only flows through the inner pipe.

My understanding is that the emgo simply attaches to the outer wall. How do I ensure that exhaust flow continues from inner pipe into muffler, as opposed to moving back towards the engine in the space between the inner and outer walls.

exhaust emgo.jpg

Adam

If the dual walled pipes are seal on the other end, the volume of the dual wall void will fill with exhuast gas, but it should be negligible. The remainder of the exhaust should all exit out the emgos. Considering the several dozen cubic feet of exhaust gas created per minute of operation, the dual wall void should be of no consequence.

On my XS650 there is a vent hole at the top of the exhaust header (near the engine fins). This is to allow for condensation to escape as the exhaust heats up.

Do 400 pipes have this same hole? If they do then the exhaust gas moving in the void will travel through that hole.

Best,
Adam

One could use high temp silicone sealant to fill the void between the inner and outer pipes. I've found the copper sealant works best on exhaust systems.

The best bet is to seal the two pipes together. Take them to a muffler shop, have them expand the inner pipe out to almost fit the outer pipe. Have them squeeze the very end of the outer pipe down tight on the inner pipe. Not more than about 1/4 of the outer pipe. Weld the pipes together. Now your new mufflers should fit over the outer pipe. Use Harley 1 3/4 inch muffler clamps, none better. Very strong, clamp well.
Another way is to use pipe adapters fromthe auto parts store. On the small end it should be a tight fit on the inner pipe. The larger end a tight fit in the muffler.
Again Harley clamps work best.
Leo

Back