Intoducing Josha

Josha

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I'm 32 and have two kids and a fiance. I have got a 1979 XS 400. I will (one day) turn it into a cafe racer, but I might change my mind and go something unique. When I find pics I'll chuck some up here. At the moment it's all painted flat black, I've taken off the rear swingarm, and the swingarm pivot bolt snapped right at the nut. Are there any aftermarket ones available?

Last edited:
Hi Josha. Welcome to the site. Not sure if there are any aftermarket bolts available but you could see if anyone who has hardtailed their bike still has it around. Good luck with the search.

full

Just got it home and given it a test ride

full

My mechanic approves it, so it must be good.

full

What I was initially going for. But now I'm not too sure. I can get some '05 R1 undetail pipes for nothing, might do something with them.

Welcome Josha,

Post a "Wanted" ad for that bolt in the classified section of this forum. Someone in this bunch is bound to have one.

Better, yet, have your mechanic do it for you, a cutie like her will likely get a better price. :D

My bolt also snapped exactly at the same spot. Research showed this to be quite common on our bikes for some reason. I found one on eBay without problem for about ten bucks. I'll bet it won't take long for one to show up.

the breakage is common as the hollow spindle plus the thread produces a large load on the area. There are updated ones which are now solid

After a looong time collecting dust got back into the bike. Got a second hand swingarm bolt off eBay. Built a work platform for the bike. Stripped it down and now starting to work out what to do with it. I have decided to raise it's bum up about two inches. Two reasons mainly, 1 - I'm over six feet tall, 2 - to make it handle a little better. To do this I have worked out that I will need shock 15 inches long eye to eye, any suggestions??

Other things I will be doing is tapered headstem bearings, bronze swingarm bushes, fork brace and swingarm brace underneath and clipons.

Ive seen 13inch eye to eye shocks. You could also consider dropping the front end an inch or so, however you may want to consider getting stiffer springs and a heavier fork oil.

Back