Just bought a '78 XS400, So Glad This Site Exists!

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, as the title states i just purchased a 1978 Yamaha XS400 for my first bike.

I have been looking around for used bikes for a while and was reluctant to purchase such a vintage bike, but for the price (the guy is even delivering it tomorrow), and the fact that this site exists, i couldn't resist it.

Thank you everyone for being such an active community, for coming on here so frequently to share what your knowledge so that when one of these bike pop up used and a beginner like me sees it - they see a world of possibilities for customization and proper maintenance - rather then an old rust bike from the 70s (like 90% of the bikes that show up used).

I will have loads of questions, but only after i have exhausted the countless guides, how-tos and have used the Search function as well as google :p

Cheers!

Thanks again guys!

Both excellent threads,

Willem - I had already begun reading your thread before even buying the bike haha It was one of the reasons i felt confident that i could tackle any issues that came up.

Dave - I would like to attend, but I don't actually have a license or insurance yet :S lol I was in the process of scouting bikes and insurance rates for financial feasibility and this guy offered me the bike for so low in good running condition, and the offer to deliver, i couldn't say no. Within the next month I will write my M1 and take the riders safety course fairly shortly afterwards. ( I have held my full G for about 8 years now, and havent had any accidents or claims *knock on wood* - So i figured getting the license was more of a formality and fee haha) Thanks for the offer, if you do any rides next spring, keep me posted!

haha sure thing man :) I just keep spamming my thread everywhere lately but I guess it's spreading well lol

I am pretty certain that it comes up with a google search... It MIGHT be what led me to this site when i googled xs400 - That thread came up and I read it and thought "I will never have to pay a mechanic if i buy this bike" lol

Even with all the info on here I would still get a manual. They are nice to have:wink2: I still am amazed on how some still cant figure stuff out even with help. We are all not mechanically inclined people :(

I've had my non-running barn-find '82 Maxim two years and haven't had to pay a mechanic yet.
Of course, I still haven't *ridden* it yet either. ;^) My fault, not so much issues with the bike. I've found that if you want life to get crazy-busy, buy a "some assembly required" motorcycle. Oh well, it'll make it all the sweeter when she's running and I'm riding.

well I payed a guy to fix up some things when I first got it. Only real reason was that I got stuck in the middle of winter with a flat front tire, and road assistance would have costed me more than getting the mechanic to pick it up. I needed new tires, and I wanted them properly balanced so I had the guy do that for me. But never again, cause that hurt my wallet more than I wanted to admit

still, I'm happy I can rely on my tires now though

Some things require others to do. Most people can't do there own welding or machine work. If we all had thousands of dollars worth of equipment in there shop I don't think we would be riding xs400's:laugh:

Hopefully i wont need to weld anything :S - I am avoiding any mods that require welds or fabricating anything myself.

This site has a few manuals available for download, and if the seller wasn't nice enough just delivering it for me - he also gave me a Clymer manual as well! Its no longer bond, but all the pages are there and in great condition. So far its served well, but lacks some specifics like bulb sizes - it gives 12v 3.4watts but not the connection type or physical size, same with headlight.. It seems to deal with mostly mechanical issues and service.

Some things require others to do. Most people can't do there own welding or machine work. If we all had thousands of dollars worth of equipment in there shop I don't think we would be riding xs400's:laugh:

Well there could exceptions to that Chris,some of us have the the nastagia for the older classic machines.:)

Back