kick start in gear?

bikerbob

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first bike and I'm just now getting it running. When I kick it with it in gear and the clutch pulled in, the bike rolls forward like the clutch is engaged. The clutch seems to work properly otherwise. Is this normal or do I have a problem or need adjusting somewhere? Thanks.

I couldn't kick start my bike the other day with the clutch engaged (stalled it while messing around); the kicker was just loose while it was held in. I had to shift to neutral and let it out to turn the engine over with the kick starter. When I shift from neutral to first I get a slight movement from the bike. I think it is probably normal.

While working on my friends 75 honda cb360 (our bikes are quite similar in many ways) the bike was not happy to shift unless the tranny moved a little; i.e. the gears won't engage without some movement.

That's what I did, thought it might be normal. Thanks guys. This thing is gonna be fun, can't wait to start mods!

Yep, you are dealing with a wet clutch (multiple plates bathed in oil) and the oil will be thicker cold than warm, creating some drag between the clutch plates even when you disengage the clutch. As said, a slight "lurch" when shifting into 1st is normal.

As Oliver said,the oil being cold will give a lurch,but if it happens when warm,you have a potential problem.Even warm,there will sometimes be a slight resistance felt,as the plates only open a little bit.Make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly,or it'll grab,then start slipping,then you're replacing friction plates,at the very least. lha

almost all 4 stroke motors need to be in neutral to be started easy, it is possible to start in gear, however it is harder on you the kicker. 2 strokes you should be able to start in any gear due to the lower compression. it talks longer to kick it 5 times then shift it into neutral.

I know this is an old thread but I'm so glad I read this, I was worried I had a problem when shifting into first, it makes a slight clunk and the bike lurches just slightly, but if it happens to you guys I guess its fine :D Also re: the OP, noone really seems to have answered it. Kickstarting doesn't work with clutch held in, and when in gear I imagine it would do the same, it shouldn't move the bike forward with clutch held in? Also someone above mentions kickstarting in gear, but this doesn't seem possible on my bike. With clutch out, my kick movement pushes the bike forward. With clutch in, kick is just floppy really? And now I am wondering, is this not normal? It seemed to make sense to me, I can only start in neutral with clutch out

If your clutch doesn't disengage completely,you should check the adjustment,both at the motor side of the cable and at the lever.If you don't have a manual,you can download one right here on the site on the quick links or tech pages.In it you'll find a lot of info about many things including adjusting the clutch. lha

Back